Early signs of Adhd?

I know the symptoms can vary greatly. My son is two years old, sometimes I wonder if he has adhd. His "terrible two's" seem to exceed other children's with the hitting and tantrums. He will flip out when anyone tries to soothe him. Mega temper, etc. He has been this way since infancy (minus the hitting and "tantrums" but he did have fits.) I'm trying to figure out how to help him (minus medicating) because it's frustrating for us all. My mom says he is expressing typical toddler behavior among my side of the family. *my side of the family* Most of us grew up with some sort of behavioral disorder that wasn't diagnosed until beyond the teenage years. How did your children with adhd behave when they were infants/toddler? Was it apparant then? What helped? What can I try? I'm at the end of my ropes!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Apr. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Two is way too early to detect ADHD. Most doctors (the good ones at least) will wait until at least 6 years old to test for it. Actually, my dd was not any different at that age (she's 7 now). The biggest thing that tipped us off was when the Kindergarten teacher said she was tired all the time and just "spacing off" all day long. She went to a different school for first grade where they realized she couldn't read as well as the other kids. After a year of testing for all kinds of things, we found she has ADHD and some other issues. Her hyperactivity is much more noticable now, than when she was 2 or 3. Maybe that's because I expected her to be a little hyper & prone to tantrums at that age (many kids are). It's kind of a pain, but keeping her focused and having something for her to do that holds their attention, helps keep my dd from getting upset. Though my dd doesn't have a bad temper, she just gets frustrated easily.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:58 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Hey, I'm a pediatric psychotherapist and social worker. Two is a little early to give an absolute diagnosis. But I can say that MANY parents, both the parents I have worked with and in all the literature, have said that they knew their child was different in the very early years and even months. Hind sight is the only 20/20 vision. My own son MAY have symptoms of ADHD. The kicker is his symptoms that are consistent with ADHD most likely are due to his tonsils being too large and inflamed (but they have never been infected). It makes him get up in the middle of the night, he doesn't get the appropriate sleep cycles he needs, and during the day we see some early signs of what looks like ADHD. As a social worker and therapist you do a rule out of other possible medical disorders or circumstances and then see what is left.  In my child's case the tonsils have to come out first.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• There are things you can do now. Some parents check with their child's doctor about melatonin to help a child sleep better through the night or take naps during the day. Some parents modify their child's diet, try to limit the amount of television (studies have shown the more television they more hyper the young child), and get more outdoor nature time. A soothing bath before bed with a super plush towel to wipe down, essential lavender oil to wipe the bottom of the heals to sleep, a solid routine, and giving your child as much choices as is appropriate during his or her day - all those things can help.  All things most parents do but it is sometimes hard to be consistant during busy days.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• 2 is way too young to think about adhd. I would be more concerned with diet & possible food sensitivities. Gluten & dairy are common culprits of food intolerances which can cause behavioral & learning problems. A simple food panel RAST test for IgE & IgG can reveal a lot of information. All it takes is a blood draw.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Two is way too young. In my opinion, even six is way too young. Why would you want to put that on your kid? You want him to be put on meds the rest of his life? He's a baby-they throw fits.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Six is not too young. And for two...some do have true behavioral issues at that age. Even some infants have come in to family therapy because there is something going on behavior wise that entire family could work on together. My suggestion is ask your child's doctor to see a pediatric behaviorist. It is an M.D. who specializes in children and their behavioral development. On down the road you may look back and say, "ah, the signs were there even when he was a baby." But for now start with the doctors. As far as medicine for the "rest of his life" ADHD is not just about medications. It can be a very helpful part of therapy but it only one component.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:48 PM on Apr. 17, 2010