How old is too old for a crib?

My son just turned three and he still sleeps in his crib. He climbed out once about 4 months ago but that was the first and last time. He doesn't seem to mind sleeping in it and I have to admit that it makes me sleep better at night knowing he wont fall out or be walking around the house getting into things. In the mornings he waits for me to come and get him out. I'm feeling like a fail mom at the moment though because it seems all the other people I know with kids his age have them in toddler beds already.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just do a test, when he stands in the crib, is half of his body above the rail, if that is the case then he can easily topple over. I know how it is. you feel safer to know that he is there, but this is not about your safety it is about him growing up. By age, he is definitely ready for a toddler bed, make the transition easier, don't change the bedding so that he will feel more familiar, but maybe put in a big boy thing in there, like a special blanket that has his favorite character on it, and say it is onlly for big boys who sleep in big boy beds. It might or might not be hard the first week but he needs this. My oldest, when we did the transition, he was not even 2, I was ready for a week of sleepless nights, but he just laid down and fell asleep. I was so surprised. So it just depends on the kid, you might have a hard time with the transition or you might not. But you need to do this, for your sake and for his. God bles
    EricandAndreMom

Answer by EricandAndreMom at 11:58 AM on Apr. 17, 2010

• EricandAndremom is right. If you are worried about him getting out of bed at night and wandering around the house, you can buy a tall baby gate that he can't open or climb over. We recently bought one for about $45, which I didn't want to spend, but it is worth it. My middle child can open it, so we put a bungy cord on it to keep it closed at night. He is silent when he gets up, so we want to be sure he is safely in his room. I have woken up to the sound of him opening the front door, to let the cat in. So just to be safe we put the bungy on. It is easily removed by an adult, so I don't think it is a safety risk.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I should say it is a walk through gate, that is tension mounted ont he door frame. There are no screws unless you want to use them.

This is similar to the one we bought. We got ours at Lowes though.

http://www.justkidsstore.com/prod/summer-infant/sure-secure-extra-tall-walk-thru-gate/White

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• IMO when they can start climbing out on their own, they are TOO OLD.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I transitioned my daughter to a toddler bed when she was 18-19 months, I believe. I was nervous to make the switch but she took to it surprisingly well. Get your DS a cool bed with bedding of his favorite cartoon or whatever and tell him he's a big boy and needs to sleep in a big boy bed, give him plenty of positive reinforcement. In no time, he'll be used to it.
    cheribabii613

Answer by cheribabii613 at 1:55 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• With my two older ones, they had the transitional cribs. You could take off the one side and lower the mattress and it turned into a toddler bed. It was really easy for both of them and we had no problems with sleepless nights. The only problem with those is that the mattress is higher than on tradional toddler beds so with my middle child I had to help her into it every night.

At three you should be teaching him boundaries and rules, which transitioning him into a toddler bed will do. He should know that he isn't allowed up until you say he can. You can't just hide from that forever and it'll be easier to do it when they are younger so that way it is established and well know when they are older. My middle child would have been perfectly fine staying in her crib too but I believe there is a time when they should be encouraged to be self-sufficient. Also, moving into a toddler bed helps with potty training =)
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 3:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I s he in pre school, at that age they sleep on low cots, if he is ask how he does. If not try a camp out in his room on a friday night put down a pad of blankets on floor sleep in room with him and telll him that if he wakes up before mom he can play in the room but not leave and judge by this. My son was in crib till 4 because he wont stay in room, got past the gates and one moring I woke up to him makeing breakfast. A chair push to kitchen counter, bowl on flooe with box of cereal dumped in and milk and oj mixed together in bowl and on floor.

Good luck
    nawnie

Answer by nawnie at 9:07 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• By 2 years old a child should be out of a crib. A 3 year old is way too old to be in a crib.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• as soon as thet start climbing out of one. lol. my daughter was two and my son was 1 1\2. trust me thats how it normally works.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I transitioned my daughter into a toddler bed at 18 months. My daughter is tall for age and a wild sleeper so she kept getting her legs stuck in the rails.
    Most of the time when she wakes she comes straight into my room. I leave the door cracked just in case. Now that she is a little older, she is 2, she stays in her room and play with her blocks or something until I come get her. But I had to teach her that.
    I dont have any steps so I wasnt worried about that. And I night I left the living room TV on sprout so if she left out her room she was on the couch watching sprout.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 18, 2010