Why do people gripe about "not getting enough food stamps" when it is now and has always been meant to be a SUPPLEMENTAL system?

You can google interviews with the heads of DHR or even call them. They will tell you that the welfare system was never meant to cover everything. That's why most are called the " supplemental nutrition program" in the state budget.

People complain about not getting enough formula from WIC or food stamps and having to purchase stuff out of pocket but it's NOT supposed to cover everything. You are supposed to still need to purchase items out of pocket.

It was never intended to be the whole grocery budget and quite frankly where do these people get off complaining about something they are getting for FREE on the tax payers dime?

Is it really the job of others to provide EVERYTHING for you? Is DHR not paying for EVERYTHING not an incentive to take a second job and get training for a better job so you can stand on your own two feet?

Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• my thoughts are that even tho its supposed to be supplemental but some dont have the money to supplement the rest so thats why they complain! y dont u go entertain yourself some other way!!
    !
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I am not sure WHY people get so PISSY when people question how those on theses programs use these TAXPAYER funded programs! We have EVERY RIGHT to question and point out to people who dont get it. and the OP makes a valid point. Hey, I was ON FS YEARS ago. It HELPED us get through a really rough time. I have a friend that has been on them for TEN YEARS solid. TEN YEARS. Thats crazy! There SHOULD be more regulations. This is an ASSISTANCE program. To HELP....not to support. And I think if more people understood this AND there were more structure to the programs then there would be less abuse and less lifetime dependence. Those of you that want to make it ok for people to abuse these systems arent thinking. The abuse and waste cost ALL of us and keep help AWAY from those who REALLY NEED it!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:18 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Secondtyme....your missing the point. If you still can't afford to pay for your part of the grocery bill or formula bill after the tax payer foots a portion of it than maybe you need to look at getting a second job or better training or in the case of welfare SAHMs maybe you need to get a job.

Somewhere a change needs to be made and it isn't with the tax payer writing a bigger check!!!!
    Anonymous

• One day I sat down and did the math. What people get for food stamps in my state is equal to what I pay for groceries each month. If I can feed a family of four on that amount, I can't think of a reason why they can't feed a family of four on that amount.
    Anonymous

• do you realize that food stamps are a last resort when you have paid all your bills and can't afford to buy food. some people barely have enough to pay their rent and you're saying they have no right to complain because they don't have enough money to buy food on their own...times are hard, jobs are scarce, and not everyone is as well off
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• So do you want those who are on food stamps to thank you, kiss your ass or what? What do you honestly expect from people who are on food stamps? Seriously.
    Anonymous

• Stop bitching geez. I am on Food Stamps wrork to jobs and raise a healthy 2 year old.The budget is tight but we make it. And no i will not kiss ur a** cuz i pay taxes to so ........
    Anonymous

• as someone on pa, I don't understand it either. We understand that it is supplemental based on our income and our family size, and we budget accordingly. alot of meals incude rice and beans, but thats okay. you do what you have to do, and I won't complain about something that is free. I'm grateful for the amount I get.
    Anonymous

• Wow...nice language Anons...NO ONE is asking for an ass kissing, but as someone who was ON them I was GRATEFUL not PISSY. I understood that they were to HELP me not to cover my every want and need and I stretched the hell out of them. My friend gets $800 a MONTH. Thats NUTS. And what some of you dont seem to get is there is only SO much money. SOOOOOOOO if SOME people LIE and get too much, OR SOME people get WAY more than they NEED, then SOME people who REALLY REALLY NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED the help will be left out in the cold! With NOTHING. But you go on ahead an ASSume that people who question the usage and distribution or just hateful people. THATS just STUPID.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• What do you honestly expect from people who are on food stamps? Seriously.
    -------
    I don't think it is too much to ask that they try to get OFF of them! Everyone knows this economy is horrible, and jobs are hard to get. Noone begrudges the HELP. It's when the people receiving HELP turn into gimme monsters that those doing the helping get upset. FS are allotted by a formula which takes into account your rent/mortgage, utilities, the number of people in the household AND how much $$ is coming in. An adult without a job is expected to search for a job. So, I expect that when the amount of FS is not enough to feed the family, the family needs to cut back to a less expensive cell phone plan, cut back on the cable package, quit shopping for all the new clothes & toys that aren't necessary, and use the CASH to buy food. It's called being responsible. A concept that many don't recognize these days.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2010