who are you?

im a sahm, have been from day one..... and now my child is in high school. who am I? what will I be doing next? I dont have to work, hubby makes a very good living, so I really can do what I choose at this point... but what do I want to choose?

Anyone else in this situation? How did you go about finding a purpose when you have been mom/taxi driver/cook/etc 24/7 for so long?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I would take some classes at the local college. Think about what you are interested in and take a class in that. You don't have to get a degree, just get out of the house and meet other people.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I volunteer at a local retirement home and at my church, each 1/2 day a week. I also belong to a Red Hat group, and we meet once a month and do fun things as a group. I never get bored and always have friends I can call for an impromptu lunch and shopping trip.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:18 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• You still have a hubby to cook for :) If you enjoy cooking and/or baking...do it for other's too. "Just thought of you, and i'd like to make and bring over dinner"
    Take college courses...it's never too late to start learning something new, OR to expand upon the knowledge you already have.
    Open your own business...if there is anything you enjoy or are good at...why not make some money while doing something you love!
    Get a job....even though you may not need the extra money, working and being aknowledge for that work is good for self esteem and keeps you busy. Seeing what you've accomplished is so rewarding.
    Do charity work. There are plenty of people who need help...why not help someone garden or offer to babysit kids for single moms?...
    Find something rewarding, or discover who you are through trial and error! Good luck! xo
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 12:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• It sounds like it's time to find yourself again. We get caught up in our roles in life and we push our basic self to the background. Take some time to pursue your personal interests again. You will find that life looks better and you can deal with things better when you are free to be yourself and follow your dreams. It's all good but it sounds like now is the time for you.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I was a SAHM, but decided I don't want to be a SAHM forever so i'm taking college courses. Going for my bachelors and hopefully I can make a living. Hubby might make good money, but hubby won't always be around so I gotta learn to take care of myself. That's what I decided.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• you could always have another baby lol! they are always fun. but i would go to school and learn a trade and get a job doing something intersting!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I'm a SAHM for almost 13 years now and I love it. Hey, why should I go get a stressful job when I don't have to right now. My sons are only 9 & 12 and need me when they have all their holidays and summer vacations off. My 12 year old is too irresponsible to be home alone. I wouldn't mind working at a store one day. It's my business and people w ho judge you are jealous. You are a mom and a wife. My mother was al ways home and I guess I'll be like that till one day I can go get a job.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• If you do not need to work. Find a job you will injoy or go back to school.

Answer by louise2 at 12:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I have been a SAHM for 23 years. My sons are 23, 22, 19 and 18. The older 2 have been out on theoor own for a long while now (since they were each 19) and my younger graduate next month. I am one of the few who doesn't feel like I am any less because I don't have children to keep trackk of all of the time. I stay very busy during the day with my hobbies and interests which I always kep on the front burner. I spend time with my husband when the boys are working, we go out and have fun, just the 2 of us. We are looking forward to an empty nest to be honest. On hubby's days off we'll be able to just get up and go, no worries. Right not we can't because when our sons are home we spend time with them but once they aren't we will be free to come and go as we please. That's going to be fun!
    Anonymous

• All above are great suggestions.
    Try volunteering also. At a hospital, day care, animal shelter, somewhere that really needs it. You will feel better about yourself also.
    You can be a foster home for kitties and puppies. (=
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 2:26 PM on Apr. 17, 2010