im 25 weeks pregnant and im worried about pre-eclampsia

noone in my family had it, i heard it can run in families and i had this in my first trimester and now im having it again.. but for the past week i have been having some blurry vision when i wake up and it last for a while. i dont have any swelling and i check my blood pressure from time to time and its not high.. my heart does beat alot faster but i heard that could be from extra blood to the baby. i go to all my checkups and they take urine all the time and check my blood pressure and everything always looks good.. i have my next appt on tuesday, what should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If everything looks good and is checking out, then there's nothing to worry about. Let your doctor know what things have been happening like the blurry vision. When I would get out of the bed in the morning too quickly I'd black out (not pass out) and my vision would literally go black/blurry then return after a few seconds. If I got up slowly sat on the edge of the bed i'd be fine.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 12:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• The blurry vission could be GD

Answer by louise2 at 12:53 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Tell your Dr. what is going on. High Blood Pressure is very dangerous especially in pregnancy. Yes, it does run in families. My family has a history of it. I didnt have any signs or symptoms my entire pregnany, and at 39 weeks I went in to L&D because I was having contractions. I had protein in my urine and my blood pressure was elevated. They decided to keep me and induce me. Baby was fine very healthy, and so was I. I had to stay 3 days in the hospital post partum due to my blood pressure being too high still and protein in my urine. They were afraid I would have a seizure. It was very scary. Make sure you control your BP by walking alot and eating no salt. Salt it your enemy. Don't drink any soda either. Walk as much as you can. Dont stress yourself out, that is bad too.
    mercilove

Answer by mercilove at 2:44 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Blurred vision is sometimes just a "normal" part of pregnancy

"Pregnancy hormones (what else?) that decrease tear production (ironically, since they certainly don't decrease crying!), leading to eye dryness, irritation, and discomfort. Hormones also cause fluid buildup in your eyes, the same way they make your ankles swell. This can lead to changes in the curvature of your eye, which causes a change in your vision."
    "Changes in vision are normal for many women during pregnancy. You might not see as well, or your contact lenses might feel less comfortable. Luckily, these changes are temporary and your vision should go back to normal after delivery."

It CAN be related to something else, like preeclampsia or gestational diabetes, but if you aren't having any other symptoms (high blood pressure, protein in urine, etc.) it probably isn't anything to be concerned about. Mention it to your dr, but don't stress about it.

Answer by missanc at 3:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• be sure to eat meals regularly. 5-6 small meals a day is best. be sure to drink 2-3 liters of water a day. you can cut way back on sugar an cut out caffeine if you feel like your heart is racing. you can increase your protein if you are concerned about preeclampsia. be sure to discuss your fears and concerns with your dr. like other posters said...don't stress about it, that can cause many problems!
    congratulations on your pregnancy!
    btw, it seems like these problems are more common than they actually are...complications during pregnancy are like 5%...the odds are in your favor : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2010