lactose and a three yr old

can a three yr old be latose intolorant. i am lactose intolorant, and had to change my diet a lil. My three yr old is experience the same problems i had when ever i had dairy. She doesn't have insurance yet so i can't take her to a pediatric doctor and have her checked out. Has there ever been other lil ones that have gone through that . i was in my mid twentys when i found out. that is why its weird for me to think she is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Health

• yes. its very possible. keep dairy away from her until you can get it checked out, but make sure she is still getting what she needs for nutrients.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Lactose intolerance is like any other food sensitivity/allergy. It can develop at any time. My dad's didn't develop until he was in his thirties, I'm showing the early signs now in my twenties, DH has always had a lactose sensitivity I think, and my 16 month old daughter reacts badly to large amounts of dairy in her diet. We just limit the exposure. To find out right now you can eliminate all lactose for a week or two then reintroduce some and watch for a reaction; not something I would suggest if your reactions are really really bad but it is a way to tell.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Yes my DD had it since she was 18months. There are many more lactose free products out. There is the lactaid milk and dean's easy. Bryers and lactaid brand ice cream.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:47 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• try soy milk and other soy products they even have cheese made of veggies its called veggie cheese awesome stuff.
    this stuff will help till you can get her to a Doctor. Just keep her from the stuff that gives her bad reactions.
    Anonymous

• Yes, your child could be lactose intollerant or have other problems with milk. Human children do not need to drink cow's or any other mammal milk at all. Most lactose intollerant people can digest some lactose and eat some cheese or yogurt.

Your child should qualify for Medicaid if you are low income and WIC even if you have not so low income. If you make too much for Medicaid there should be state programs for children of working parents that can't afford to take their kids to the doctor. If not there are free clinics or reduced fee clinics based on income.

It is a parent's responsibility to take their child to the doctor, it is neglect not to do so. CPS can take your child from you. If your child is sick or in discomfort you must seek medical attention.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Yes, she can be. But my question is has she been sick recently at all with an upset stomach? My daughter was showing signs of lactose intolerance after she got a stomach virus. We took her off of all milk for about two weeks, and tried cow's milk on her again after that and she did fine. She just needed time for the natural bacteria to rebuild in her intestines.

If she's been sick, stop dairy for a while for her. Then start it again. If she still has problems, then she's lactose intolerant.
    Anonymous

• omg....all those babies on formula and reflux medication are most likely lactose intolerant! you don't need medical insurance to cut dairy out of your lo's diet. dairy is the #1food intolerance/ sensitivity/ allergen!
    sorry about the mini rant, you can be one day old and be lactose intolerant.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:32 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• i drink skim milk or 0% milk. I give her the same thing. if she gets anything higher with her ceral, it like it just goes right through her not even five minutes into eating it. She can't even have cheese cause it well do the same thing. It more like a diariah, liquid bowl movement. I am doing the best i can til i get my medicaid up and running again. i have to go in and see my wic people next month. it seem that she is okay with what i am doing.
    Anonymous