I know it's silly but it still drives me crazy!

Dh does not talk to his father, he was really abusive so dh has just cut off all ties with him. My MIL has been dating a guy for about 3 years and he is a shiftless DRUNK. he only comes around when he wants something from her. But my MIL always refers to him as "grandpa" to my dd and it just drives me insane!!!! DD has one grandpa and two great grandpas, and they are more than she will ever need. It just makes my skin crawl to refer to this man as her grandpa. I know it's silly, but it just really bugs me!! Is anyone else in a situation like this?? Is there anyway I can make my feelings known without making anyone mad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yeah, pretty much, my absentee dad got out of prison 2 years ago, and was there for the birth of my DS last April. But I sent him an invitation to his 1st birthday party, and guess what? He's back in jail. We won't even get a phone call without it being collect!

I know how you feel. I love my bio-dad's family to pieces. Even his g/f I don't mind calling my DS' Grammy. But he's just a pitiful excuse. Just do your best, maybe make a small comment to MIL that he really doesn't deserve to be called grandpa because he's not there for your son. Just wouldn't make a big deal out of it, maybe as DH to say something to her, comment to her that it makes you feel icky inside.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:54 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I don't think you are silly for being upset about that.
    My real dad died when I was younger, and my mom's boyfriend is DD's pawpaw ... I don't mind that at all - but if if makes you feel uncomfortable, then it's not silly.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 3:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I would be pissed, too. IDK how you can phrase it, but I'm just blunt. I'd just say to stop calling him that and why. If she doesn't, then threaten her with not being able to see your DD. YOU'RE the mom... Not her.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 4:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• IDK about not making anyone mad, but you already are mad, and rightfully so, so who cares if someone else gets mad. He is definitely not grandpa. I'd be mad too. Even if you can't get MIL to stop saying it, just be clear with your dd that "He's not grandpa. Gramma is a little nutty."
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• See that made me angry too. It was the same thing just the other way round. I would just say something like you're confusing little Billy when you call Sam his g'father. Please don't do that anymore. We always refer to him as Sam. Make sense?
    Anonymous