Getting rid of all Social programs...

I think they should ALL disappear...churches need to step up and do their job....it is the churches responsibility to take care of the poor NOT the government. We have become a selfish nation who only cares about #1. The communities we live in need to start reaching out and helping those in need.

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• What about all those people who don't have a church? Or what if eveyone in that area is also facing hard times so the church has little to give? Personally I think the 'let the church care for them' method worked better in generations past where people were more apt to stay in one area, everyone knew everyone else, and there was less diversity in terms of faith. I think the gov't is probably better at helping equitably so that those without a good social network don't fall through the cracks. JMO!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I semiagree. I do think churches and individuals need to take of the needy. Its our responsibility. A lot of churches are doing a pretty good job, but more can be done if we trust God with our time and money to make things happen. I think lack of faithing and fear is keeping people from doing these things that the chruch is called to do.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I think if you want to rely on the kindness of churches you first need to teach them all to not be sexist, racist, bigoted, homophobic assholes.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:46 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I disagreeFreeja, I think the government does some good things, but I think itts our responsibilty and we can do a better job. Not just churches but even indiviuals and private organizations. Less governement involvement the better imo
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• nopanicking- all the churches I have been to have not taught that or demonstrated that.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:48 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• If you want ALL social programs gone, then say goodbye to libraries, retirement funds, low income day cares and housing, etc.
    Let's see how many people are willing to baby sit all the kids who won't have a place to so their parents CAN go to work. How many people are YOU willing to help feed, clothe and shelter if low income housing is gone and hundreds of thousands of people end up on the street? How about retirement? Are YOU going to pay senior citizens their money? Will your church?
    Will you or your church build, fill and run libraries? I didn't think so...
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I agree with Precious333....the less Government involvement the better.

People should also be helping themselves.

It's hard for me to want to keep donating to a person who does not really want to stop taking drugs or get back on their feet.

Also it bothers me when I go donate in the food line and these people have iphones and large rimmed trucks. I live nicely but don't have all these extras. I am tired of people in the recent years thinking they "have" to have cell phones ( besides work) new cars, lap tops, flat tvs, HBO etc....They they cry how they can't afford healthcare or need to be on food stamps. Don't even get me started on buying cigs and boos.
    Anonymous

• I am tired of people in the recent years thinking they "have" to have cell phones

Social services in some states requires you to have a phone if you have a child. A $19.95 prepaid is cheaper than a $50 land line. I'm tired of people generalizing the minority into the whole, when you know damn well the second they needed help they'd be pointing out every reason they aren't like that. Are you another one who has seen that mysterious woman with the fake nails and the Hummer buying groceries on food stamps in line right ahead of you? That woman sure gets around.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• America, and the world in general are moving toward an all digital generation. Payphones have already been removed from the whole city I live in. Cell phones and computers are necessities now. Rims on a car however, are not, and agree with some of what is said here. I see the system abusers everyday, and it's THEY who make it hard for those truly in need.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:57 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

There are over half a million churches in the US, not counting the ones that meet in rented rooms instead of having standalone buildings. What percentage of those have you been to? Because we've surely seen on tv there are churches that hate Catholics and Mormons, churches that hate Jehovah's Witnesses. Churches that hate gays. Churches that are a single race and turn icy cold when someone of another race walks in (and that's a multi-lane highway). Churches that promote the klan or other extremist groups. You really want to say ALL churches aren't racist, homophobic or bigoted just because you've been to a handful out of half a million?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:59 PM on Apr. 17, 2010