Rusted cast-iron... still usable?

My cast iron skillet rusted overnight. I left it to dry upside down on a towel and this morning it was covered in rust. I scrubbed it, but it's still got some rust in the bottom.

What can I do to get the rust out and is the skillet still usable?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Yes! You need to scrub it with something like steel wool and then re-season it. Cast iron is the best!! :o)
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 2:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Try baking soda let it soak thats what I did
    raurismomma07

Answer by raurismomma07 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Cast iron always has to be oiled even after you wash it. Keep it oiled and you won't have the rust problems. They are the best to cook in. I love cast iron.........just wash and take a paper towel and put oil and wipe out the inside and out if that is rusty as well. It will be good as new.......

zbee

Answer by zbee at 2:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I usually just put some oil in it and use a paper towel to to clean the rust out. If you clean it and then dry it out right awat then oiul it up right away. You will not have this problem. I do not use any other kind of skillet but cast Iron ones.

Answer by louise2 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• scrub it with baking soda and dish soap, rub it with oil, put it in a 200 degree oven for an hour to reseason. should be good as new.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2010