HOW DO I MY 20 MONTHS OLD TO SIT AND STAY ON THE POTTY??

Mz.Bozzlady2485

Asked by Mz.Bozzlady2485 at 2:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't. You encourage, reward, and praise. At this age, forcing should never come into the issue, and no I don't think it's too young. My 19 month old is about done. But you can't make 'em sit on the potty!
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• If they aren't ready, you can't make them. Follow the child's lead. If you force them, they will just hold it in, and that will make them sick, and you'll have to go to hospital to get the poop taken out. They can get bladder or kidney infection if they hold their pee in too. Just keep potties around the house, where the child is most of the time. Don't make a big deal out of it.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I agre... my 22 month old does not either, he's just not ready yet.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• You don't. You wait a couple of months and try again. Or, you keep the potty out and let her sit on it when she likes, for how long she likes and praise her when she does. Don't "expect" anything.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• You NEVER force a child to sit on the potty when potty training because that can set you back considerably. The best way to potty train is to follow the child's cues. When the child is ready the child will do it but not before that time. 20 months is awfully young to expect a child to be potty trained.

Anonymous