How do you deal with temper tantrums with a 16 month old?

She's too young for time out, too young for spanking. I'm at my wits end. Ignoring doesn't help, she just screams until she pukes! She does it when I won't let her have something, or when I tell her she can't do something. It seems like all the advice is only for parents with older kids. What are those of us with young toddlers supposed to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• distraction is the best at this age. defnnitely don't give into temper tantrums though
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• My son is 17 months and I ignore his tantrums. Sometimes I'll go start playing with one of his favorite toys and talk about how much fun it is, how much I'm enjoying it, etc. and he'll usually calm down and come over to start playing. Also, sometimes when he's just starting, I can whisper to him and he'll quiet down to hear what I'm saying.

Answer by missanc at 3:35 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• If just letting DD work it out of her system doesn't work, I usually use a firm bear hug and talk to her very calmly. It usually works to calm her down. Distraction never worked for DD- she has a one track mind, and it's usually heading for something that is off limits lol. BTW, she is 16 1/2 months.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:00 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I know what yr talking about! my daughter would scream and scream until she was so loud i had people knocking on my door to see was everything ok. even in the stores it would be like that and its not a good look at all. so when she was that age, i had to spank her just a bit on her bum. it helps...i tried everything else everyone has posted to no relieve, but the spanking did work..dont beat her, just a small spank wont hurt her...u also have to gain control of the situation...cuz over time its only going to get worse...i can promise u that much...
    MummyLuv

Answer by MummyLuv at 7:05 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• What is she having tantrums over? When my kids had tantrums that young it was because there was a need not met. Like she was hungry, thirsty or just wanting some attention (cuddling.) Other than that I ignored the tantrum to show them they weren't going to get away with it. My children where pretty calm and even tempered. My nephew (2 y/o) is another story... He can scream for hours if he doesn't get his way. I think he is like he is because he is used to his mother not following through on punishment and she yelled a lot. Since she was loud he was loud, I think. When he is at our house he minds because he knows we follow through, if he screams, he gets a spanking if he doesn't quiet down quickly he gets another spanking. He quickly gets the message to quiet down. Bashers take it somewhere else because these are my methods (they work for me) and I don't care what you think of them. :) My children are 8, 6, 5, 4 & 14 months
    Anonymous

• distract and if it doesn't work ignore.... her screaming until she pukes is her way of trying to control you. You can remind her in a calm voice that until she calms down and stops screaming and crying you cannot help her. And ignore.... the best way to ignore it to start doing something fun.
    if she's old enough to figure out that tantruming works she's old enough to learn it doesn't.
    Its hard....my dd now almost 5 would tantrum until she couldn't breath .... as long as she was in a safe place I'd let her go on... even walked a bit away...
    the more attention you pay to it ... they learn it works and then just do it more....
    how's her language... it may be some frustration going on to but the most imp. is to be consistent. GL mommy
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• If you stay calm and NEVER give in she will stop. If you give in once in awhile she will keep trying.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 17, 2010