How do I get him to sleep during the day????

Hi Girls,
So my son is 10 weeks old, and I exclusively BF. He does NOT want to fall asleep during the day. Its becoming a problem because he is cranky ALL DAY.

I put him in his swing and he dozes off for a few min maybe an hour at most. By dinner time he is so sleepy and tired that he cries and cries until I give him a warm bath and nurse him to sleep. He is so exhausted he ends up sleeping 8 hours at night.

How can I get him to take a long nap during the day?? Its a crying battle to get him to fall asleep during the day. Also, he will sleep in my arms during the day after he nurses, but as soon as I put him down, he wakes up. Ugh!

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 3:02 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• awwwww the baby is what the old folks called "lap spoiled" he just wants to be held during the day and would probably sleep if u took a nap with him but i know its not always possible, but put him in the swing when he gets sleepy, mine would sleep in it for a hour or so a few times a day at that age
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• During the day you nurse your baby to sleep and you hold your baby skin to skin while the baby sleeps. Baby doesn't have to be laying in a bed by itself for it to count.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:21 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Nurse more frequently during the day and let him catch little cat naps while nursing. Try "wearing" baby in a sling and letting him sleep there. At that age my LO took most of her naps in the Moby Wrap or the swing. Your baby is in no way "spoiled" and is just trying to get his needs met.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• same question posted everyday, i have the same happenings with mine. try swaddling or nursing him wrapped in one of your shirts then transfering to swing or vibrating chair
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:28 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Get a Moby wrap; you can nurse hands free and carry a sleeping baby while you do other things.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 4:48 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Well, it makes for a long day....but at least you get your sleep at night! Before you figure this one out, he will be on to another phase anyway. Being awake during the day is normal behavior as he gets older....so the real goal is for him to be happy when he is awake and tolerate being put down. No matter what you do, that will happen in time. I just hope he keeps on sleeping during the night like he does now!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 6:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2010