how would america be if there were no public assistance?

all the food stamp bashing just made me want to ask this question. what would our world look like if there were no assistance for those in hard times? and would you feel relieved about it since our "precious tax money" wouldnt be spent helping others or would you feel terrible for those that are without?

secondtyme520

Asked by secondtyme520 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I am in the UK and I am VERY happy we have income support and free health care. I think its really important and the right thing to do to provide for everyone. Yes some people will abuse it but thats inevitable but that shouldn't take away from those who aren't abusing it. I don't consider abuse staying home and raising kids when the mother could get a job because I belive every mother should have the right to stay at home with their child and do not mind in the slightest paying tax towards making this happen.

I don't think life should be hard work just to maintain the basics for a family so if a family needs assistance to make their lives easier they should. I don't understand why people get so bitter about their "hard earned tax money". America doesn't seem like the greatest place to live - I much prefer the UK and all the help we get here.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I think public assistance is fine and needed and the right thing to do.

Problem is there are simply too many who abuse it and use improperly.

Anonymous

• If there wasnt any PA. I would be broke giving all my food and extra cash away. :)
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• i like both your answers above, but i am really interested in the response of those who bash constantly. i think there are far too many ppl abusing the system also but thats not to say i would want to punish the ones who arent though. social services should just find a more thorough way to investigate the ppl who recieve assistance without being rude about it
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Families and churches would have to pick up the slack. Like they used to before PA.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 3:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I think it would be better. If people were really in need they would be able to get it but i think that it would trim all the abusers off the system. I think it's definitely the responsibly of every human to have compassion for others and help when you can but not necessarily the governments.
    Anonymous

• World? You mean our country right? Because in most countries PA does not exist.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 3:35 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• In England and Australia they call it the dole they also have it in France, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Canada a world without relief would be a hard place to live. I know you only want people who complain but I think we who are in favor should speak as well.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Families would have more incentive to stick together rather than each striving for independence from everyone. I agree with BlooBird.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Kids would drop out and go to work at 12, the elderly would be left to die rather than support them. Maybe even see the return of debtor's prison (oh wait, that's the health care reform bill)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2010