What is Irritable Bowel Syndrom??

I've always had problems with my bowels. I'm always constipated and its a big deal just to go to the bathroom. But maybe every few times I'm constipated, I'll get diareaa during that time to make things loose again. But I seen my doctor during my sons appointment and he said that iy could be IBS. I need to go back but what are the symtoms of this? And how do they cure it? My mother in law has this and they put her on Oxycontins. Now she is hooked on them and I really dont want that to happen to me. I just need to learn more about this.

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I believe that irritable bowel syndrome is the name they give to it when a person has lots of trouble with constipation and diarreah, and they can find nothing else wrong with the person's stomach or intestines. It is a good idea to keep track of what you eat and when you eat and what tends to aggravate the symptoms. I don't think there is any "cure" for it. I haven't heard of people being given Oxycontin for it personally. Maybe the pain was that severe for her....but I thought narcotics CAUSE constipation issues too????
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 5:50 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I think sometimes it's just what the doctors tell you when they don't really know what is wrong. For years they told me I had IBS and it turned out that I was just lactose intollerant.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 3:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• i have ibs.. my stomach get upset for no reason sometimes and im always constipated but if im not then i have loose stool.. you should talk to the dr..they can refer you to a specialist.. sometimes diet helps but most people need meds.. mine and my brothers also is affected by stess so we are both oon prozac..we get car sick so bad if we dont take it..
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I have had IBS most of my life and suffer mostly from loose bowels. When I eat something, within a half hour I have to go to the bathroom. I do also get constipated, but not that often and man-o-man does it kill me to go. I suffer from stomach cramps most of the time - 24/7. When I am going somewhere I make sure I do not eat anything beforehand so that I do not have to make a bathroom visit. I saw a specialist who told me to take fiber pills, but that simply made me go even more often. I have never heard of anyone being given oxycontin for IBS. Oxy's usually constipate people so that is kind of strange. Sad to say, I have just learned when to eat, when not to eat, and I have learned to live with the constant stomach pains.
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 3:35 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• My son has it. We keep phenergan and the like for his stomach pains/nausea and we keep Pepto-Bismol pills for the diarreah. He has to watch what he eats, but, as a 14y/o boy, he doesn't always do that. LOL The doc didn't want him on a strong prescription if he was ok with diet change and OTC meds. He does occasionally miss school because his stomach cramps so bad and so much diarreah and vomiting, I know he can't run to the bathroom at school.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Do you have any other medical problems? Sometimes IBS is a result of something else that's synergistic. I have Fibromyalgia, which is painful. Because of the pain, I have problems w/ depression. B/c of the depression, I have trouble sleeping and trouble w/ IBS (constipation, diarrhea, general GI upset), and it all goes back around into the loop b/c lack of sleep makes the pain worse. I have Oxys, but not for IBS... I have them, along with other pain meds, for chronic pain. BTW they CAUSE constipation, so that doesn't help IBS at all. Have someone check you for colon cancer, colitis, lactose intolerance, and celiac disease. Try to rule out certain foods that may be a cause (dairy, meat, gluten, spicy foods). I have to stay away from too much caffeine and sugar, as well as spicy foods... which I LOVE. Sorry you're going through this, but there is no CURE for IBS... only treatments.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 12:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2010