Baby food??

When can you start to give a baby, baby food like in the jars?

When did you start to give your son/daughter baby food?

My mom fed me baby food at about 3 to 4 months old.

mommy2be77

Asked by mommy2be77 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is recommended babies be breasted exclusively for 6 months. Some mothers that formula feed start as early as 4. No baby under 4 months should be given any food. Babies never need cereal, jar food, puffs, or other baby foods.

I breastfeed and then my babies started feeding themselves fork mashed foods after 6 months.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:34 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• not until after six months, and plus your babys pedi will let you know.
    meghan451

Answer by meghan451 at 4:34 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• You never "need" to give jarred food (if the babe cannot pick-up and eat soft fruits and veggies they are not ready).

kellymom.com :: Why Delay Solids?
    My life with IBS and why I care so much about how early YOU introduce solids to YOUR baby...

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 4:47 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breast milk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts. Two fantastic books on feeding babies, with slightly differing philosophies are Baby Led Weaning and Super Baby Food. Check them out of the library. Both websites have great information: www.babyledweaning.com www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 10:21 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Well some here are wrong and miss informed. You can start the cereals at 4 months if your baby will eat if off a spoon. You start 1 thing at a time. I was told by my sons Doc. that by 6 months they are so much more active that the fourmula, BM whatever you use isnt enough for them so at 6 months you start the diffrent veggies, then fruits. They dont need alot extra so you yes feed BM or fourmula whatever you use first, then offer some solids. They dont have to pick it up to eat it before they are ready you are way miss informed. You can find a website to promote your ideas no matter how dumb they may be its still opinons. So I would start with cerals and then work up. Call your Doc and ask him they will lead you the right way. Moms here I have found are very misinformed and dont know what they are talking about half the time.
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• NewMommy You are the one misinformed - you have one child who isn't even a year old, you do not know everything. The world health organisation recommends Exclusive Breastfeeding, or formula as the next option until 6 months. Solids are not recommended before 6 months, as digestive systems are simply too immature to handle more complex food. Breastmilk is completely enough for an active 6 month old, your own doctor is very misinformed, & at odds with the WHO if this is the advice he is giving you. Babies under 1 are supposed to draw the bulk of nutrition from their milk with solid food for experience, palate development√ā¬† jaw exercise. Yes, many Moms offer solids earlier, yes if baby can take food off the spoon, they are physically able to eat, that doesn't mean their systems are ready. Make your own choices, but we are not dumb or misinformed, do some research, & get a few years experience b4 you say we don't know anything
    Anonymous

• most drs/ peds recommend waiting til 6 months to start any solids due to high intolerance issues in infants. At 6 months try a little rice cereal mixed with BM or formula Rice is one of the lowest known allergy risk food which is why is is usually the first food offered. Then you add one new food every couple of weeks so that if baby develops a reaction you know to which food. Mild fruits and veg like stewed apple, pear, sweet potato are usually the first vegies, mashed banana is a great food, and avocado. My babies couldn't get mashed potato down at all. As much as some might think waiting is misinformed or dumb, it isn't a wacko reason, lots of babies suffered severe reactions over the past 50 years under the "feed at 3-4 months" idea, which they may have tolerated a few months later. The recommendation was changed, not by one or two websites (LOL) but by the baby health community in general. Good Luck and have fun!
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• I didn't word that well - if their tummies were more mature when they first tried the food, they might have tolerated it better. People are now suggesting steering away from jarred food as it isn't just purely that one food, it is a mash of all sorts of stuff as well as additives, so it would be difficult to pin point what a baby is reacting badly to. And the thing about picking food up - if they can pick it up and put it in their mouth they are ready to try soft pieces of food, like table food? rather than purees. Not another wacky idea, just the general recommendation, from many sources not just one crazy website
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2010

• ROFL - I think Miss NewMommy101 is misinformed about spell check
    Anonymous