How do you discipline you child(ren)?

I have read many bible verses that reference disciplining your child but it is not clear if it refers to corporal punishment or some other form of correction, like "Time Out" , What's your take? How do you discipline your child(ren).

dcrum2791

Asked by dcrum2791 at 4:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• My take is, any form of punishment. Although when DD was little she did get the occasional spank, with a hand, over clothes. I do know that some people take it to literally mean using a rod or stick but that is too dangerous in my opinion. You could very easily cross over into abuse territorywith that.  Other than spanking we did use time outs, loss of privileges, loss of toys, TV, or video games. 

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 4:11 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• facing the wall...going to his room
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 4:38 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Time outs, corner, take away things, and if she's being ultra beligerent, then a swat on the behind on clothed bottoms.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• First line of defense is stern talking to, of course. That usually goes hand in hand with loss of privileges, extra chores and going to the bedroom. My older boys are 10 and 7 and all their toys are in their mutual playroom. So if they are told to go to their room, they have nothing in there. I have popped my kids butts less than 10 times in both their lives. I've spanked hands when they were little, and I've spanked a butt in my time. Just knowing that it is an option keeps them in line. And no my kids are NOT afraid of me. They mind because they know it is what's expected of them. They don't like getting to bed early and having things taken away, so they mind!
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 4:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2010