Do I have strep?

So yesterday I had a fever and chills, and my throat started hurting when I swallowed. Today I feel a million times better, no fever, but my throat is killing me - the pain goes from my throat all the way up into both ears. Since I'm feeling so much better, (still sick, but lots better), I was hoping I would be fine by Monday. But then a friend who recently had strep told me she had ups and downs the whole time. Any chance I just have a dumb virus that will run its course, or does this sound pretty much like strep to you? Thanks for any replies!

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 4:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Health

• it could be strep.... but, strep won't generally go away without antibiotics. The fact that your fever is gone leads me to believe it is something else. But, if you can, you may need to see a doctor to find out for sure since you know strep is going around in your area.

Good Luck!! Hope you feel better soon!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:08 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• PS I am not asking this in lieu of going to the doctor! I will still go to the doctor if I feel I need to! :o)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 4:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• The only way to tell is to go to the doctor and get a throat culture done. Sometimes people with strep don't even have a sore throat, other times you can hardly swallow. If you have one of those walgreens clinics near you they can do it, and it's cheap. No need to wait until monday to start getting better!
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 4:07 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• ** I meant to add that if it were me, I'd give it another day or two to see if there is a major improvement in how I feel before actually going to the doctor.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:10 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I have never have strep but when Justin had it he thought he was dying and just laid in bed and couldnt drink anything at all.
    Jaxonsmom

Answer by Jaxonsmom at 4:30 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• The first and only time I have even had strep, I had a sore throat that wouldn't go away and just got worse. I went to the doc the day it hurt so bad that I couldn't drink anything. My friend as a kid though used to get strep all the time and she would get all the symptoms. Fever, puking, chills, sore throat. So its doesn't hurt to see the doc if you think you have strep.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 4:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Only way to tell is with strep test
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• What does your throat look like? Does it have red dots? When my son had it, his throat had red dots. Other sicknesses have different things, like streaks, puss pockets..etc.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2010