Will a tattoo artist tattoo a pregnant person?

I have wanted to get this tattoo since I was 16 and was gonna get it for my 18th birthday but my mom asked me to wait until I was out of her house so I did. I was gonna get it for my 19th birthday but I was pregnant with my son. I was gonna get it done for my 20th birthday but I was pregnant again. I'm wondering if there's a reason why people say pregnant people can't get tattooed and is it a rule or just opinion?
I'm planning on getting it on my lower leg, right above my ankle. I don't swell there so maybe it won't stretch?

TotallyWarped

Asked by TotallyWarped at 4:08 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Wow, I hate how everyone on here is so rude. I don't read where she said she's actually going to get it. I read it as that's where she's planning on getting it, when she actually goes to get the tattoo (that could mean after she has the baby). Sheesh!

There are many reasons not to. You can get one, but it's a bad idea. Most good artists will not do it anyway, they will tell you to come back after you've had your baby. Besides the risk of infection, there is the chance that the color won't take well, and you'd just have to have it re-touched anyway, adding to the cost. It's just a smarter idea to wait. You have the rest of your life to get that tattoo. I waited until I was 30 to get mine.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:07 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• The risk of infection is high with tattoos. I have three. My third one got badly infected and I've never had any more work done since it was awful!!

One of the other reasons is the risk of Hepatitis is high with getting tattoos, and yet another reason that I have heard is... the extra stress that it causes on our body can start pre-term labor. I'm not sure how true that is though since I read that here on cafe mom.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 4:12 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Every tattoo artist is different. Some refuse to do it and I'm sure you could find others that may do it. But doctors advise those that are pregnant to wait until after you have the baby to get it (risk of infection, etc). I would say if you can hold off just for a few months, treat URself to the tat after the baby is born. ;)
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 4:13 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• You can probably find one that will do it, but they may be quite shady in doing buisness if they don't at least warn you of all the potentail danger to the baby.
    Anonymous

• Actually, you CAN get a tattoo while you are pregnant. The real question is why is it NOT SMART to get a tattoo while pregnant? There are a few answers to this question... 1) getting a tattoo AT ANY TIME runs the risk of you contracting diseases such as HIV and Hepatitis...contracting these, especially while pregnant, can lead to your unborn child contracting them as well. 2) during pregnancy your skin stretches and you tend to bloat, which can change the way the tattoo will look after pregnancy. 3) your hormones may cause the colors not to take well so you end up unhappy with the resulting color. These are the main reasons that are keeping me waiting until after I have my baby to get my next tattoo. Actually, reason #1 was enough to make me wait! Risking my health is one thing, but risking my baby's health just isn't worth it. I hope this helped!
    Anonymous

• really? like is this a real question? why would you even wanna take that chance of anything jus so you can be selfish and get something that can wait till later. ive been wanting this tattoo that i designed,for a long time and like you something always comes up....but for the sake of my daughter im not gonna be selfish and get it while im pregnant. that thought would never even cross my mind. i care about my child more than a tattoo!!!
    momOF2Girls0710

Answer by momOF2Girls0710 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Not just the risk of infection, but because it's trauma to your body...and trauma to your baby...it can cause you to go into premature labor...and hurt your baby
    Anonymous

• All the reasons above are why you shouldn't get one, and any tattoo artist that is willing to take those risks is not anyone that would tattoo me ever.
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I think its pretty damn stupid to get a tattoo while pregnant. Is that tattoo so important that you are willing to risk your baby over it? Just wait till your done being pregnant, there's no rush.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:50 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I wasn't saying I was getting it. I asked if it was law or not and whether there's reasoning behind it. I didn't know the risks so that's why I asked this question here. All you stupid haters, back the heck off!
    TotallyWarped

Answer by TotallyWarped at 6:03 PM on Apr. 17, 2010