Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

school ?

I lived with a friend briefly at the begining of the school year. So my son goes to the school from her address. Once we moved I did not file a change of address with the post office so that they wouldn't know and make him move schools. He has had school probs in the past. He is happy, I don't want to move him.
Does anyone know if I get a PO box at the post office there and have mail forwarded to it will the school investigate that?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • I was using a post office box for a while and our school didn't bat an eye at it. You could tell the school, "I have a new mailing address" before they get a forward from the post office. Just play it off cool and if you are still friendly with your friend, fib and say "the physical address hasn't changed, just the mailing address". But only tell them that if they ask.

    Did you move out of the county? Where I live, you can ask for your child to attend a different school as long as it is in the same county and you provide transportation. I know 4 families that do that. Call the main office and with out telling them your real name just ask something like "If I move within the county, can my child keep going to the same school if I drive him there?"

    Good Luck!!

    Answer by VeronicaLee at 6:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

  • In my city there is open enrollment, meaning the child can go to any of the schools-- if the schools have openings. My son's friend went to 1 school and then they moved to our block, and he went to our school for 4th grade3, he did not like it and so for 5th grade his mom re-enrolled him at his old school. The schools had no problem with it. Since your child is already established at his school, I would think he would still be allowed to stay and continue on at that school. You may want to call the school district and ask what their policy is on moving/changing schools.

    Answer by MizLee at 9:44 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

  • oops darn typo-- meant for 4th grade only... not grade3

    Answer by MizLee at 9:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

  • I used to work in schools. All I can say is that if they catch you then legitimately you could be told your child is not able to attend the school. The way the school would find out if a child is not in the correct district is if the social worker had to visit the home. Occasionally they would make home visits and then find out the child was not living there. The schools I was at did not do P.O. Boxes. They needed the actual physical address. This wasn't just to make sure every child really lived in the district. It was also for emergencies should they have to send law enforcement out to your home to investigate abuse/neglect, send authorities to your home to come get you because your child had an emergency, or because you had an emergency and your child was not picked up. We had that happen. Car accidents happen to parents. A true address is just safety.


    Answer by frogdawg at 9:57 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

  • The school where I teach requires a physical address in case the child needs to be brought home. So a PO only wouldn't work. Are you sure you can't get a waiver? Check into it.


    Answer by maxswolfsuit at 10:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

  • I am not talking about giving the school a PO box, But about forwarding my mail to a PO box. They would still have the same physical address. And they have the correst contact info for me. Just So that way if the school or school district mails something and it gets forwarded it is to the po box in the right city not my new apt.
    I am in the same county but not the same school zone.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

  • Don't you need to provide proof of address EVERY school year? We require parents to provide UPDATED proof of address before each school year starts. If you get caught, your son will be out.


    Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.