mom son vacation

I am going away to the bahamas, just my son(16) and I, I am a little nervous its going to be just the 2 of us and we have never gone away with just us. I m looking foward to the time we will have to talk and bond, but Im nervous because I have no idea what kind of activities to plan, and what to do day to day?

alextheitalia

Asked by alextheitalia at 5:05 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I went to the Atlantic City area with my son at that age. We walked the Boardwalk, went shopping, I spent maybe one day on the beach (he was bored). We went to movies, ate a lot and watched the people. He insisted on bringing his skateboard, but that was a good thing, so he didn't stay bored. In the Bahamas, there are plenty of things to do and see, you should be fine! Enjoy. Too bad we don't know each other, we would come too!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I'd either ask a travel agent or google things to do and show him so he can help make the plans.
    Anonymous

• I think it's cool, I would just play it by ear. Go with the flow. My 13 yr old wants me to take him to Hawaii. I am going to save up to do that.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• My son and I are going to Cancun after 8th grade graduation.    As luck would have it , very good friends of ours (his BF's parents) are going to Cancun and invited us along.   I do plan on going on some excursions like  zip lining, rock climbing, swimming with the dolphins, etc. with just my son so that we can have some much needed one on one time. 

I was concerned about him being bored with just me and apparently it's just not cool for other people to see you hanging with your mom all day when you're a 14  yo boy even if said people are complete strangers whom you will never see again.  So, maybe if you're friends with one of his friend's mother you might ask if going together would be an option. The kids could hang out for part of the day and you and your son could have some alone time for part of the day.

kgray1396

Answer by kgray1396 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• First of all relax, you'll both be making lifetime memories. Don't forget to take lots of pics!  Look up things to see and do ahead of time, plan things you'll both enjoy....even if maybe him more than yourself. You're a mother, if he's happy, you're happy! My son and I just took a trip to St Louis over spring break with 2 layovers in Chicago,one of which we spent the night. We had a BLAST and made fab memories that will last us both a lifetime. I have pics on FB if you'd like to see(Chris Draffen). He enjoyed posing for pics to share with his freinds, indulge and embrace that.....it will make him feel closer to you if he realizes you understand how important this is for him and you will have fun watching him express himself. Take a day and see which one of you can get most emerged in the local culture and garb(henna tattos, dredlocks, shells, hats,etc.. whoever wins gets to pick what you do the next day. Have fun and be
    climaxmom

Answer by climaxmom at 8:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2010

• Relax. You will have a great time together. My son and I have been taking trips together for years. He's 17 now and still enjoys it. We go places and do things that he likes. Keeps me young. In the summer we camp near home, and every winter we have a week in Florida. We always drive, and the road trips are good for relaxed conversation.

Have fun!
    KarenS67

Answer by KarenS67 at 11:45 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• have a great time and dont worry about any stigma about them not enjoying lol its all a ploy to get us to buy more playstation and xbox accessories :) Have fun. I have three boys and thats all I know when am on vacation
    Janeslv

Answer by Janeslv at 12:39 AM on Sep. 16, 2010