NAME CALLING!

Okay i understan boys will fight and yell at each other.But the dont respect each other .They like to call each othe fatty,idiot, and fagot during arguments or even the simplist disagreement.Help ?! Any advice to stop this?

cat260

Asked by cat260 at 5:15 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• lay down the lawthats its not right to be calling your brother or sister mean names an make it perfectly clear that its not tolerated an when they do it punish them i do with my 2 an 5 year old an they hate it
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 5:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Keep on them, don't let them get away with it, it is not acceptable now or ever. Make them apologize and they can not turn away until both have accepted the apology. Tell them or get the victim to tell they honestly how hurtful name calling is and how bad it sounds. It doesn't make them look like the bigger better guy.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I guess you are talking about your sons? I would grab them by the ear and tell them "NO NAME CALLING" Then I would tell them to go to a different parts of the house tell they can act right.

Answer by louise2 at 5:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• That is something you teach them from the time they learn to talk not wait until they are teens. You can't stop it now. They might stop doing it in front of you but they will do it again when you leave the room so let them work it out.
    Anonymous

• get them together and ask them what they would do if the other one wasnt around anymore
    u have to be strick here tell them they cannot talk to each oter for a week and if one does think of a punishment tell them they r brothers they should love eachother
    dissagreeing ok if they dont like what the other is saying tell them to talk to u and see if u can help them threw it
    cherylc1962

Answer by cherylc1962 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• For the one who says i should have started this at a young age i did and now that they are older and have friends that speak this way they bring it home im a just looking for advice from other parents that have had  siimilar  issus with older children.When they are young the test us as parents and its an easy fix but i find certian issues as they get older that you may need a little bit of advice.

cat260

Answer by cat260 at 7:03 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• "We do not speak that way to others in this family."

My MIL still says "no controversy" when her (adult) children start to argue, and my parents did not tolerate it either. No, you can't control how they treat each other when you are not there, but when you are...
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:22 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Do what many do when people swear...get a container with a slot at the top and call it "NAME CALLING JAR" Each time one of them calls the other a name, he has to put in some money (Mom decides how much) After a while, they will start thinking before calling names because their piggy bank is getting lighter LOL Then Mom can decide what to do with the money.
    Good luck to ya :)
    Kathy7_20

Answer by Kathy7_20 at 12:53 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Yup, my mom always said, "We love and respect eachother!" And if we didn't she clunked our heads together like coconuts. JK.
    Just reminding the kids that they're not to big to be bent over your knee should work.
    .carrie.

Answer by .carrie. at 2:59 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• my 15 yo and his friends call each other names as terms of endearment, I guess... his buddy is "dago" and my son is "jewboy". as long as they aren't fighting I stay out of it, but when my son starts calling his 8 yo sister names I jump on his case.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:35 AM on Apr. 19, 2010