How soon did you use cereal for your infant?

My 2 month old daughter is up to 6oz of formula. I wanted to use cereal so she wasnt eating so much. Would it be ok to put it in her bottle? If so how much should I add?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't need to every give a baby cereal. Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breast milk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts. Two fantastic books on feeding babies, with slightly differing philosophies are Baby Led Weaning and Super Baby Food. Check them out of the library. Both websites have great information: www.babyledweaning.com www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 10:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• It's not recommended. It is a choking hazard and increases her risks of diabetes and obesity, and has not been shown to decrease the amount baby eats or the frequency. Essentially it's increased risks for no proven benefits.

2 months is too early. The AAP recommends 6 months. My daughter skipped cereal entirely (it's empty calories anyway) and went straight to finger foods at about 7 months.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• NEVER until at least 4 months preferably 6 months. I will never understand why anyone would voluntarily introduce those risks to an otherwise healthy baby. BTW you NEVER put cereal in a bottle EVER!!

Anonymous

• She should have ONLY formula until AT LEAST 6 months. Then, only if she really is capable of eating it off the spoon. She should be sitting unsupported, no longer have the tongue thrust reflex. NEVER in their bottle. It poses a choking risk and it will NOT fill them up. Their ONLY nutrition should come from formula, any foods are simply for practice. If fact, your never have to spoon feed baby if you wait until she is big enough to eat finger foods. Giving anything besides formula before at least 6 months poses major health risks to baby and they may not be noticeable until later on.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp       This link will help.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Only formula until 6 months old. There is some really great info on why you don't want to add it to her bottle to fill her up here: Baby Bottles and Cereal

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:20 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• The AAP recommend 4-6 month. I can't find the link where it says that right now, but they do have it up on their site that they recommend 4-6 months (not 6 months like some people think).

First child we started at 4 months, she was so eager and ready for it, my second is almost 6 months and we still haven't started him, but we're considering starting with avocado instead of cereal tho. I don't think there's anything wrong with cereal, it's just a preference.

2 months is too early.
    Anonymous

• if your baby is fussy u can put a tea spoon in the milk and shake it up as well as 1 tsp of white kero syrup so the baby gos to the potty regulary
    i raised 3 gils on this and as they got older i increased until i had to hand feed them and all my gilrs r healthy and no medical problems at all now they have babys and r doin the same
    good luck
    cherylc1962

Answer by cherylc1962 at 6:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I think it depends on the child. I started with my son at 3.5 months and he did great.Formula wasnt filling him up he was a big boy born at 9 lbs.Good luck with ur decision oh and i put it in the bottle too....just a little bit of it u dont want it to be so thick!!
    Anonymous

• my son is 4 months and he started eating it at 3 months with baby food mixed in
    logansmom1202

Answer by logansmom1202 at 6:52 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• cherylc1962~ Karo should NEVER be given to infants. Karo may contain botulism which can be deadly in infants. Karo is an outdated and dangerous method that is very risky and no longer recommended!

Anonymous