What does this sound like?

I'm so frustrated with all the problems we've been having with DD. She is 2. We are all at a loss and a stand still.

-chronic diarrhea for 20 months
-height growth slowly falling off the charts (weight we finally got back up to a decent weight)
-swollen belly
-reflux
-excessive thirst
-excessive urination
-low appetite
-sleeps 18 hours a day
-bloody noses

Does anyone have a clue what could be going on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I haven't a clue but have you taken her to another pediatrician or gotten a second opinion regarding this stuff. It's not quite normal, as you know. I wish you good luck.
    Anonymous

• have you taken her to the doctor? maybe she has intestinal problems. maybe IBS.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:40 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Oh I forgot to mention her IgA levels are low and everything else is normal. She has been to 3 pedi and 2 ped GIs
    Anonymous

• What do the pediatricians that you have taken her to say is wrong? I would take her to some type of children's hospital, I would also google her symptoms and try to figure out what it could be...I did that with my symptoms and came up with gall bladder removal and when I made my doctor appt. the doctor was asking me all these questions and he said, I see you brought some notes with you...and I said, yeah...I did my own research and he was like what did you come up with and I showed him and sure enough he said, that is exactly the problem. So get a second opinion but do your own research as well. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Oh I've been researching it for about a year now and can't find anything. One says its just toddlers diarrhea, one says its just the reflux not under control, and another thinks she has food allergies, but they don't show up as immediate or delayed or the scratch test. We've done food elimination diets, nothing makes it better
    Anonymous

• Have they ruled out celiac disease? It's a IGA problem related to gluten food products. Just an idea.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Celiac disease. Did they do a gluten antibody screening? My son was diagnosed at 2 and these symptoms are almost exactly like his. For some reason it is really hard to get a diagnosis. The regular doctor and the Pediatric GI Dr both said that it was NOT Celiac. I took him to another Dr. and he told me to put him on a gluten-free diet. Well, that is what it was! He has been totally fine since being off gluten.
    Go to the celiac and gluten-free moms group at http://www.cafemom.com/group/2849
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Its not celiacs, she went gluten free for 2 months with no improvement and had samples done from her instestines and they look perfectly healthy. They (the DRs and family) think its not that big a deal because we got her up to weight, even though she still goes up and down. But she's my baby and I want answers.
    Anonymous

• I watch this show on T.V. sometimes it's called "Mystery Diagnosis". Maybe they can help, if you watch some of the episodes or see if they can recommend a doctor or specialist or to put your story on their show.

http://health.discovery.com/fansites/mystery-diagnosis/about.html
    Anonymous

• i have read that it takes 6 months for the body to eliminate gluten. did you notice any difference at all when you went gluten free? i would honestly try alternative medicine. a homeopath, naturopath, chiropractic, accupuncture...
    i can't imagine how hard this must be!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2010