Do you have any information about

whether or not it is against the law for a collection agency to call family looking for you. What is legal and what is not? does it vary from state to state. Also how can you dispute and amount not the debt it self, but the amount is incorrect and they added interest.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Apparently, they can contact your family, your neighbors, and whoever the hell they think might kind of sort of know you. I went through this with BBB and a collection agency that contacted my neighbor, whom I've never met, who delivered a message to me, from them. Oh, I was pissed. They've also called family members I've never met. Basically, they are "allowed to contact a third party when unable to contact you." Sucks. I will pay them when I have a job. bastards.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:38 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I don't think it is illegal. Especially if you listed them as a reference.
    Anonymous

• I don't know about the famiy thing...I would hope it is, because that's harassment to them....people who do not carry YOUR debt. I do know however that some debts can collect intrest on them....you have to read the fine print.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 7:08 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Why would it be against the law? Who would you call if you were looking for someone? No, it is not illegal.
    Anonymous

• they will and can call anyone you listed as a reference on your paperwork. You can call them and tell them to stop calling others but you will actually have to talk to them.
    Anonymous

• This person was not listed as a reference, just as an employer that is family. It is against the law at some point if you are harassing someone over the phone in person, at their place of employment etc....
    Anonymous

• It depends if in the agreement with the party using the collection agency was given numbers for contact then they can call those parties you listed. Otherwise no they aren't suppose to but it is not illegal unless your family tells them to stop calling. In which case it becomes harassment. I hop this helps any more questions you can pm me.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• ask the collection company to provide for you with a copy of the contract between you and them. until they provide you with that information, then there is no debt owed from you to them. ask them in writing, and send the letter certified mail.
    (it is worth a shot!)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:09 PM on Apr. 17, 2010