how do i get my 3 yr old to stop being so whiny and clingy??????

Dont get me wrong i love my son but sometimes he drives me crazy! he is almost 3 years old and wines about EVERYTHING!!!! he also whines if i leave the room. he cries if he doesnt get his way he cries if he has to eat or go to bed he wines when i tell him to do or to do not do something. i can be something simple like getting dressed or eating dinner, picking up toys or just going outiside. he used to listen to me before he started to cry about something now he just cries at the drop of a hat! if i say the word no at the begining of the sentence he wont wait to hear the rest of it he just brakes down in a screaming crying fit and wont listen at all! i have tried everything. i've tried telling him he isnt a baby. i tried love and logic tellin him i understand his feeling but this is what i said. i tried time out i tried taking away privalages and everything else. plus he is not at all independent. he used to be independent but

19_klayton

Asked by 19_klayton at 6:50 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When mine would do that, I called his bed, "The Fit Spot". If he whined, he had to sit there, if he cried about nothing, he had to sit there. I would tell him, I will not listen to you until you stop whining or crying. He really hated sitting there and wouldn't whine if he knew he had to go, but, sometimes he did it anyway and when he was put there, he fel asleep. LOL it helped.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• but he wont do anything himself anymore. he wont play by himself or anything. i dont know what to do and he drives me up the walls. i smoke and i normally only smoke a pack in about 3 days. but lately its been a pack a day!
    19_klayton

Answer by 19_klayton at 6:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• If you figure it ouw let me know cuz my daughter is almost 3 and is the same way!
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 6:53 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• lol just read what people write about mmine. maybe it will help lol. when is yours three? mine is three in may.
    19_klayton

Answer by 19_klayton at 6:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• i wish i had advice. i opened this to get some advice about my whinny 3 year old! i dont know how to make her stop. it's constant. maybe its just a phase.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I tell mine that she has to use her big girl voice, and until she can do that then I can't hear here. You positive reinforcement when he is not whining any time that you catch him not whining tell what a big boy he is and how nice it is to hear him talk like a big boy.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• why don't you take your son to Sunday school on Sunday, but you have to check on the times because different churches do them at different times, Mine would do them after church. And my husbands church wold start after the first half of church.. there they learn to color ,draw, and art and crafts, and a little about gods ways.and during the week you can maybe put him in pre-school. . maybe 3 days a week. and in the evenings maybe you can take him to do gymnastics or karate. twice a night.maybe in that way he'll start to feel and be less whiny and clingy toward you.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:02 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• thanks for that. the rest of your comment was cool but i cant afford it. plus he is in pre-school 5 days a week. and i am an athiest so the church thing is out.
    19_klayton

Answer by 19_klayton at 5:12 PM on Apr. 18, 2010