talking in a loud voice.....child abuse? What would you had done?

I was in wal-mart today over in the kids clothes and there was this woman with a little girl in her cart she was maybe 2 and two boys walking with her maybe 4 and 5 years old but anyways, the little girl was hitting the mom with a hanger or something I didnt really see what it was but I heard her say "quit hitting me" kinda in a loud voice but not screaming and the little boy asked what happened and she told him. Next thing I knew she walked over to look at some clothes and I hear a woman say "mam you need to stop yelling at your kids, I heard you and so did another lady" the mom said (in a calm voice)" they are my kids" and the other lady said "I dont care you are screaming at them and that is child abuse and you are being watched" the mom just walked on but she had a confused look on her face. I didnt say anything but I was thinking WOW!! What would you do in this situation? When did talking loud become child abuse?

heavenlypeace

Asked by heavenlypeace at 7:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• If that counted as abuse, then, everything my mom did to me should have her on deathrow.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:09 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I would have said something very unladylike to the complainer and walked out of the store. Of course it is not child abuse.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 7:10 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Some of the strangest things are becoming "child abuse" I would have told her to mind her own business and walked away.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:10 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• People are so dumb...Talking stern to a child is abuse? HOW dare that woman talk to her that way...I would understand if she was really yelling and cussing..but the mom wasn't..ugh..people are just so fn dumb...stupid beezy
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 7:11 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Unless a mother is getting seriously crazy and hitting and screaming her child....strangers need to butt the hell out. Those ladies WAY overstepped thier boundries. I have yet to venture out with my three young kids by myself, and I can only imagine how much stress she was under!
    Anonymous

• People these days are so stupid! No wonder kids are so spoiled! I think that poor lady handled it very well. I'm afraid I would have gone off on the other woman!
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:14 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I would have told her to shut the F up and mind her own damn business.
    Anonymous

• Did they expect her to allow her dd to continue hitting her? Come on now. Ridiculous. I would have either said something to the lady complaining or said something encouraging to the mother with the three kids. I have to take my 3 (ages 2, 3 and 6) out on my own sometimes and even when they are behaving it can be stressful. She must have felt terrible and she didn't even do anything wrong. Poor mama.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 7:28 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• POST HERE-- I told my husband that I wouldnt had been as calm as this poor lady was. I saw her again a little later and her little girl was screaming and crying because she wanted out of the cart and the mom got her and was comforting her. I bet the lady who said something doesnt even have kids and if she does she is probaly an abuser. I have 4 and im always having to yell at them mostly for fighting and bickering...its better than beating them to death!! I just felt sorry for this mom but she stayed calm and thats more than I couldve done. Im sure she wouldve gotten told a few (not so nice) things.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 7:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• If i was the mom, I would have told her something extremely insulting but in a way that the boys I had with me wouldn't understand lol. If I was in your position, I don't know if i would have said anything, and if i would have it would have been along the lines of "you're effin creepy if you're 'watching' people in walmart, you know? that's called stalking"
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 17, 2010