Toy guns?

I refuse to let my son play with them.What are ur feelings about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:11 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• i agree. I have daughters so the issue doesn't arise but when buying gifts for other children I never purchase anything which contains or is associated with violence.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• if it were just up to me NO. my dd doesnt have any and has never asked for or played with one. for some reason the thought of one just bothers me. i really want her to know guns are not toys in any way. daddy does not feel this way. if we have a boy im sure he will have toy guns, but i will not like it and would like to teach my children gun safety at a young age since daddy wants to buy a handgun and get a concealed weapon permit.
    Anonymous

• I agree with you and I am totally against them. This should bring up a lot of interesting comments. I feel there is enough violence without our kids playing with toy guns. Why promote and encourage this? I have a hard time accepting that my 9 yr old boy goes to school and his teacher lets him use the computer at school to play games that involve guns amd shooting and watch you tube. This not acceptable in our home. But at school it is?
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I let my son have them, but, with lots of rules and regulations. He was never to say he was killing anyone, never to point at anything except deer and squirrels. Only because they are legal to hunt. Not even birds. If he ever slipped up, the guns went into hiding for awhile. He also had to treat them like a real gun.

I grew up with toy guns to play with and with real guns on a rack in the house. Loaded at that. I was taught the same rules for both real and toys. I was told that i couldn't touch the real ones unless I had an ok by my dad. He did take me target practicing. So, I knew real early the power of a gun. I was allowed to shoot a .22 at age 2. LOL (yes, very southern folks) I never, ever touched any of the real ones and when my son was 2 and went to my dads house, he saw a BB gun in the closet and ran to tell my dad to put it up, LOL He thought it was real. We prasied him. He never touched any either.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I let my daughter have them. We taught her how to hold them right, and we also taught her that her pretty colored ones are okay, but she should never touch any others. We've started teaching her gun safety, and I think it's best to start them early. If they know how to respect a gun, they will not be the kid who gets a hold of a gun and shoots themselves or someone else by accident. She's seen real guns and knows the difference and that she is not allowed to touch them. But you can bet we have a blast playing with squirt guns.

Guns don't define violence. The person who handles the gun is what is violent. In the wrong hands, a baseball bat is a weapon. A shovel is a weapon. A rock is a weapon. Anything can become a weapon in the wrong hands. You have to teach your child NOT to use it as a weapon against another person for any reason other than self defense in an extreme situation.
    Anonymous

• I dont allow it. When he gets them as gifts we give them away or donate them to a goodwill.
    LucyT20

Answer by LucyT20 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• its not allowed because we have real guns and they dont need to think those are toys.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 8:19 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I have the same rule.... which i've figured out is pointless.... so I'm okay with water guns .... I think guns are genetically hardwired even though we never had them always forbade them was careful about waht htey watchedetc.etc. he made them with legos-- I even tried the whole oh it a water hose thing....
    so eventually after fighting this battle for 6 years.... I'm going over to the otherside ... and allowing water guns.... besides summer is coming soon and its hot.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I let my child have them with rules and regulations. I also use them as gun safety teaching. Whether you have guns in your home or not they need to be taught about guns. If they are not they could go to a friends house where they have guns, and not know how to use them safely. It which case playing with them they could accidentally shoot them selves or others. My kids all no that they need to treat every gun even toys as if it is loaded and that we don't point them. Not teaching gun safety I feel is a big reason for gun accidents.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:57 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Oh water guns is my only exception to the no pointing rule. They no that and follow it.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 17, 2010