Empty nest good or bad

Ok I dont like this my son is getting ready for Jr. prom I cant believe it, I started thinking only one more year till he graduates and goes away to college my son gets straight A's and will get into pretty much any school he wants which means hes not staying in NJ. I am very happy he is doing so well and is so proud he takes school as seriously as he does dont get me wrong. I just dont know how I am going to deal with him not being home, I am so not use to that, we are so close and I never want to lose that. Yes I know me and DH are going to enjoy the empty nest and I can finally start wearing that lingerie again lol I get that and thats exciting, but that dosent make up for my son not being there anymore. Will he call everyday? What do you guys suggest and how are ou dealing with that.

julietta22

Asked by julietta22 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Embrace it...find a hobby or pick up an old one. Keep yourself busy...start making a list now lol
    I can't imagine...
    Anonymous

• Go to school with him. LOL ............j/k
    Anonymous

• You are his Mom and that will never change. It is a real challenge. You never stop worrying. And you will always miss him. His room and his belonging that he leaves behind will always be his. You loose a small piece of you. He may not call as often as you woud like. Do soficate him. Be prepared to shed a river like you've never done before.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Life goes on. And it's a very good life. I am never caught up with the things I want to get done, and so there isn't much time to get lonely. Our nest has been empty now for about 6 years or so, and we are enjoying ourselves.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:24 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• OMG my son is that age you jusr depressed me I havent really even started preparing myself for that, thanks alot lol.
    lglads71

Answer by lglads71 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I'll tell you no lie.  It is hard. The first time my first son moved away I always started to cried when I saw a can of spaghetti-o's in the store. They were his favorites growing up. I had to leave the store. There is no escaping the process.

sad

Anonymous

• He probably won't call every day but that's okay, he'll be out spreading his wings and becoming an independent person. you can write to him, send him cards (Hallmark has a really great line of cards out that I love for sending to my sons who live away from home) and you can bake him goodies & buy foods that he can microwave or eat without having to cook and send him CARE packages to him at college. College students love free food! ;-)

I have 4 and in the next 4 mos. my nest will be empty. My oldest is 23 & he left the nest in 2004, went to college for a year and then joined the Army. He's stationed in WA state (we are in OH) and has been to Iraq for 15 mos. and heads to Afghanistan this summer for 15 mos.. My 2nd son is 22 and moved to TX in 2007-I write to him often. My 3rd and 4th sons are 18 and 19 and graduate next month and in July 1 leaves for Army basic and the other starts college in PA in Aug..
    Anonymous

• I AM going to miss having kids at home...without a doubt. But on the other hand I am NOT going to miss endless mounds of laundry, sink full of dishes, contstant clutter on the table, etc.. I am looking forward to cleaning the house and it staying cleaned. I am looking forward to time alone with my hubby for the 1st ttime since 1986. Hubby and I are looking forward to travelling whenever we want...over nighters and extended. It's going to be a different life but life without kids at home has endless possibilities. I joke that after August I will be "Pen Pal Mom"....letters to 2 and letters & CARE packages to the other 2. Once my 19yo goes to AIT after basic he'll get CARE packages too. That in itself will keep me busy....4 letters a day and getting 3 packages a week ready to head out.

We always worry about our children, that's a mom's job but after a bit it gets easier, once we know they CAN take care of themselves.
    Anonymous

• I had a hard time with it too, when my son first left (I also did this with my daughters) all I wanted from them aside from good grades was a daily call, it is what I needed to keep my sanity, and they all complied. Most of the time I didn't have much to say, but just hearing their voice was enough to calm down my anxieties, it worked for me!

Answer by older at 5:11 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I am so looking forward to an empty nest, but my youngest child is only in 7th grade. My oldest are working on moving out, one getting married in the summer and one becoming a certified police officer soon.
    I'm looking forward to the time with my husband. I'm looking forward to the time spent on my hobbies, having a clean house, being able to travel when we want because we won't have school schedules to deal with, visiting family and other relatives, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:19 PM on Apr. 18, 2010