My husband wants me to get a full time job and I don't want too. Am I wrong for feeling this way?

I substitute teach during the school year and I only work 2-4 days a week, making $100 a day. I look forward to spending time with my kids every summer and my husband wants me to take a full time job at his bank working 9-5. I know that we could use the money, but I would rather have my husband sell his boat, convertable and race hourses, so that I could stay home with the children and take them places like I do every year. If I do work I know my kids are going to be stuck home all summer long playing video games and watching tv, which would really bother me. Do you think I'm being selfish?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't think you're selfish. I think your husband's expensive and unnecessary habits need to go.
    Anonymous

• no i think time with your kids is really important. and ya, expensive unnecessary habits need to go!
    Anonymous

• I think your husband needs to look more at the benefit of the kids rather than his wallet
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 7:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• No, I think you just want to make sure that the kids are being well taken care of and getting physical activity instead of just watching television and playing video games. I also think that you are helping out a little by substituting. If you two were having some real financial difficulties and it was hard for him to make ends meet as the sole provider of the family then I would say, yes get a job and help him out, but if you two are living a comfortable life with boats, convertibles, and race horses then maybe he should just allow you to do what you love and that's being a SAHM.
    Anonymous

• what's the trade off...I wouldn't want my kids staying at home alone without either parent there.
    Anonymous

• anon 47, my oldest son is 17
    Anonymous

• Can you start working after summer break? That's what I plan to do.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 7:55 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• orionsgirl, yes I can start working after summer break, that's what I do every year
    Anonymous

• OP, that's when they need you more. Older kids need attention too. STAY HOME! Good luck Momma!!
    Anonymous

• No, I think you are doing the right thing. Raising your kids is more important than material things.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2010