when the medication label says 'don't drink alcohol while taking this medicine'..?

I am on a medication that I will have to take until my doctor says otherwise (its KeppraXR, for epilepsy), and the label says not to take with alcohol. I'm not a heavy drinker, but I do like an occasional glass of wine.

In anyone's experience, do labels like these mean 'absolutely no alcohol at all'...or 'try to limit the amount of alcohol you consume/don't get drunk?'?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Health

• I think it means No Alcohol at all.... if it meant to say it is OK to take with alcohol (in moderation) it wouldn't give you the "no alcohol" warning.
    Anonymous

• Typically it means use caution when drinking alcohol while taking the meds. My anti-depressant says not to drink alcohol with it but my doctor and pharmacist say it's fine I just have to pay careful attention to how much I drink. I can't remember for sure but i'm pretty sure it is different with meds used for epilepsy. I don't think you are suposed to drink at all with them but it's been a while since i've worked in pharmacy so I can't remember for sure. Look up a local pharmacy and give the pharmacist a call they can give you a definate answer.
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 9:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• 'don't drink alcohol while taking this medicine' means DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL WHILE TAKING THIS MEDICATION!!!! But hey, it's your life, your brain!! Good luck whit that!

Anonymous

• I'd call the pharmacy to find out or at least Google it. Just go to Google and type in "KeppraXR alcohol interaction". A lot of meds say "no alcohol" but it's because so many people don't just have the one drink.
    Anonymous

• just call the pharmacy and ask.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:03 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I looked and couldn't find the specific reason why it says that, but I would not drink with that medication unless your doctor specifically says it's okay. You could also ask the pharmacist. Usually when they give that warning, it's because of a serious interaction. Some medications depress the central nervous system, so if you take a CNS depressant with alcohol it can depress your respirations and you could stop breathing and die. Sometimes a medication is process by the liver, and drinking alcohol at the same time puts too much strain on the liver. A good example of this would be acetaminophen (Tylenol). If you drink alcohol and take Tylenol together you can go into liver failure and die. I like my wine, too, so I understand. I would just err on the side of caution.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2010