Do you think a counselor would tell you to write to a person you love, and tell them all the things you love and don't love about them?

If they are trying to help you, then why would they want you to bring an innocent person into it and put them down... my x did this to me recently and told me his counselor told him too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes. I think this can be very healing... however its not usually recommended to actually send it.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I have heard of that, when I went through the domestic violence shelter, the counselor had me do it. BUT.... I NEVER gave it to my ex. We burned it in the parking lot together after I read it to her. It felt good to get it off my chest and out in words.. but those types of exercises are usually NOT shared with the person that they are about!!

Sounds like your EX didn't want healing! Sounds like he just wanted to lash out at you in a hurtful way.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:45 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Yes, because like pp said it can help with the healing process weather you give it to them or not.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 9:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Yes, they would and they should. Verbalizing your feelings sometimes helps overcome them. Some of them just have you write the letter but not give it to the person.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:58 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I think it's a great idea so now you can discuss things

Answer by admckenzie at 10:05 PM on Apr. 17, 2010