Is 14 a normal age for a boy to start his sex life?

My son had sex for the first time and he told my hubby. They talked about everything he needs to know- protection etc- but I still think he's really young to be having sex already!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yeah, I think it is. I would assume most boys in that age range have had sex at least once... I was much younger than that.
    Anonymous

• Um. No. He's way to immature to even think about using protection.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 8:53 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I would shoot my son...He is 14 and he better not until he is married. He has had the talk and he know the consequenses. We talk always.
    Anonymous

• It is young...but when I was a kid, I knew new girls that lost it at 9 or 11. I wouldn't want my son to have sex...but what can you do, lock him in the basement. Just make sure he always has protection and do like my mom did when I was 17 and lost it. Tell him just because you give him condoms doesn't mean that it's okay to have sex lol. Sounds stupid to the person you're saying it to, but it let's him know how you feel about it. My kids are 5 and under and I talk with my husband about what if they get pregnant or get someone pregnant young. He thinks I'm stupid for even thinking that way. I think I'm getting ready for what ever comes my way.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 8:54 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I second anon :53! At least until he's out of my house! I don't need no grandbabies!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:55 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• personaly i think its really young. i was 13 and really wish i would have waited a lot longer. it's unfortunate that a lot of kids this age are doing it.
    Anonymous

• let him know it is illegalfor him to have sex. that you appreciate him telling you and being honest, but dont do it again.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 9:00 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I can honestly say that he atleast told you and its willing to talk... the problem with us is that we make it as if sex at a young age is the end of the world,.. and yes people should not have sex until they are adults) but as we prohibit them sex it pushes them towards doing it.... just explain to him about stds, protection, what can happen if you are not careful. Have that relationship with him where you guys can talk about sex. i mean he is only 14 but he already experienced it and probably liked and and wants to continue... just educate him... dont push him away in this topic... and mrsjosey1018200 do you think that telling him is illegal gonna do anything to help him... its gonna ruin their parent relationship a. drugs are illegal and it doesnt stop kids from trying them...
    iliana90

Answer by iliana90 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• At fourteen I would wonder who he is having sex with. In many states 14 is legally too young to give consent. So that means who ever he is having sex with is also under the age of consent. If that person is older they could be charged with statutory rape and if younger or the same age her parents could hold you responsible since you know and are not doing anything to prevent the activity from occuring.  I would make it a priority to find out the laws in your state.  In mine it would be illegal.  Personally, while not a prude, 14 is too young to be having a sexual relationship.  At 14 you cannot handle the consequences of sex.  Could your son handle going to a juvenile detention center for having sex with a minor?  Could he raise a child? Can he drive to the doctor in case he develops an STD? So many things to think about...at 14 I would say most could not.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:15 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I do think it is too young, but then again, times have changed and I lost my virginity at 13... looking back it was to young, but at 13 I thought I was all grown up.

But regardless, he trusted your husband enough to talk to you guys about it... you should be proud of yourselves for that. at this point I guess I would just make sure he understands all the consiquences (ALL of them) and make sure he has condoms incase he has sex again.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 9:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2010