Breastfeeding Question--I feel silly asking!

Is it possible to just pump breastmilk and feed one's child via that alone soon after birth? I'm pregnant with my first child, and I've read that breastfeeding is really hard for some. I wonder if after trying to breastfeed--if I feel that it is too hard for me--if I can just pump exclusively. Pumping hurts less than breastfeeding, right?

Has anyone known someone who just pumped and fed their baby breastmilk via bottle only? I apologize if this is strange or well-known. I'm just worried.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes you can pump exclusively, but a lot of times you dry up because the stimulation you get from the baby helps you keep producing.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 9:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I breast fed my daughter for a year- IMO- pumping was alot more bothersome (and sometimes uncomfortable).
    evasmom178

Answer by evasmom178 at 9:30 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• you can just pump and feed the baby that way they dont half to latch on to get the milk and u say its your first child so here is a tip its not supposed to hurt at all when u pump or breastfeed if it hurts when u pump ur pumping at the wrong speed or u have it set to your breast wrong if it hurts when the baby is latched on then the baby is latched on wrong you will have to relatch them until it doesnt hurt it does take time to breastfeed sometime and if u get overwelmed they have breastfeeding specialists to help you your doctor can help u out with that. ihave a three month old daughter that i still breastfeed and i breastfed my son and it is an amazing experience it gives u a really tight bond with your child however i respect people whether they breastfeed or not its your choice there are other ways to get that really strong bond.. good luck and congradulations!!
    hotmami2ajae

Answer by hotmami2ajae at 9:30 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• yes, i do believe women have done this. for me, i was never able to pump very well. breastfeeding can be difficult, but once you work through it, it is the easiest thing. i did not have a hard time with my first child, i had the hardest time with my third. if you are pumping, then others can feed the baby, so that might be helpful. i find bottles, and milk storage a bother...but i am sure that others find being at the beck and call of your baby some what of a bother. anyhow...your state of mind can effect it all...if you think it will be hard, then chances are, it will be hard. there are some good breastfeeding resources, la leche league is awesome!!!! i think with breastfeeding, it seems like it should be as natural as breathing, but sometimes it is not.
    congratulations on your pregnancy! try not to worry too much mama!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Pumping hurt worse and was harder. Nursing was a breeze, except he nursed ALOT, but, it wasn't hard.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• My son didn't latch on so I had to do this, but once he started eating more and the pump didn't keep up I had to supplement with formula too. The pump can be painful too but only at first. Your nipples will get used to it/toughen up. I suggest not doing this unless you have to. It also takes twice as much time to pump then feed.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 9:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• *** Your nipples will get used to it either way I mean. =)
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 9:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I pumped with my twin boys because they wouldn't latch on...I tried and tried....
    I NEVER got used to the feeling of being pumped....it hurt worse than breastfeeding.
    I exclusively BF my daughter for 15 months, and I never was in so much pain as I was in when I pumped. If it's your only way to give your baby breastmilk then i'd do it, but I wouldn't choose to do it lol :) hope all goes well!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 9:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I would breastfeed at least 7 weeks before coming to a decision about difficulty; most problems can be resolved by then.

Pumping is HARD (unless you are one of the lucky few that "over produce.") Most women experience a drop in supply when pumping. Many are not "good" pumpers and do not make enough to fully feed their baby. Pumping is also time consuming; storing the milk and cleaning the pump can be a real pain in the rear. I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to give up pumping when I left my job; fortunately it was less than 2mo.

I nursed my first for 3yrs and my second for 4yrs.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:05 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Pumping exclusively is much more time consuming than nursing. And it's also much more difficult to keep your supply up. Breastfeeding is difficult sometimes, but it's worth it.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 10:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2010