What would we do if a volcano errupted and had effects like what are happening in Europe, here in America, would you be prepared for the effects?

News is reporting they do not know when it will stop errupting and how long the effects will last. The wind is pushing the ash and folks are having to wear masks and honker down.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Mt. St. Helens dumped more than three inches of ash in Yakima Washington in just a few hours, and the people were definitely wearing masks. Even the small volcanoes tend to make a big mess ~ and that wasn't a small one. When the one at Yellowstone lets go, I fully expect life will be forever altered world wide, not just in the US.

Our seisic monitoring has improved a lot since 1980, and I think we have a better warning system than a lot of countries. I also think that people in the US are very complacent and unprepared compared to people in other countries. Far too many expect the government to come riding over the hill like the calvary to rescue them rather than bother themselves to see to their own safety. For some reason they believe that it isn't 'their' responsibility.

My family never plans to wait to be rescued, we plan and prepare for ourselves. We sleep much better since we aren't all that worried *G*
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I haven't heard about the masks and I'm sure thats in a very localized area. I rarely fly so I don't think it would hamper my daily life at all.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I don't think it would be a pretty picture for this country to see. People have become so depended on someone else to rescue them.

Anonymous

• I haven't heard anything about masks yet, either. I'm pretty sure we would be OK, since everything we do is extremely localized. Now if it were a different kind of disaster, I don't know. But I don't think I'm in any danger from a volcano. I don't live anywhere close to the volcanos in the US.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:37 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• A member of the Icelandic Civil Defense carries a puppy as residents in the town of Eyjafjallasveit prepare to evacuate April 17, 2010.

A member of the Icelandic Civil Defense carries ...

Anonymous

• To be completely honest with you...no I would not be prepared if anything happened anytime soon. I guess I'm just living life and life is getting in the way. The only thing I'd be prepared for at this time is something like a bad snow storm. We don't have much in the sense of natural disasters here in Southern VA other than flooding and we're no where near water where I live. I used to live right across the street from the Roanoke River and I got very used to flooding and it doesn't scare me anymore because with something like flooding here you can get out in time and insurance will just have to take care of what gets damaged. I need to start going out and getting a kit together for disaters but I've just never thought about it before...I know, its stupid.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 12:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Farmlady is right. We have experienced that in the US with Mt. St. Helens. People in masks and ash everywhere. My in-laws lived near by at the time and lived through the whole thing.

Mmmm, I have got a good food storage to hunker down in my house with for a while, and I guess I could at least use some scrap cloth for masks...so yeah, I actually feel like my family could get through something like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I'm sure there are people wearing masks right near the volcano but not in Europe. The only problem there is grounded flights and that's only really the northern parts like the UK. I reckon my family could get by if the flights were grounded.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:54 AM on Apr. 18, 2010