Question for Christians

The past 2 questions got me to wonder WHY do Christians have to believe Jesus died for their sins in order to strive to be better people? Is respecting oneself and others and striving to be a better person just because it's the right thing to do so hard? Why do you need a martyr to encourage you to be better? Isn't seeing the damage made by bad choices enough to encourage you to try to make better ones?

KristiS11384

Asked by KristiS11384 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Not for me. Honestly though I respect him dying for my sins, many of my family and friends would die for me too, and vica versa. So it is not some thing most wouldn't do for each other. Though I think he was a magnificent person I do not believe his dying was needed nor was it spectacularly different than what say a mother would do for her child. I try and do what is right because it is right not because of what a man did or didn't do for me.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I don't
    Anonymous

• Not everyone just does it to do it. I don't do it just because God says so...I do it because it's right to be a good person. Everyone regardless of thier belief should be better people each day.
    Anonymous

• Everyone regardless of thier belief should be better people each day.

Exactly my point! I just didn't understand a lot of the answers in the "sinners' question because it gave the impression they were relying on Jesus dying in order to be motivated to be better people. I don't understand the martyr syndrome behind that.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Who cares what way people are becoming better people?! Seriously....as long as they're trying to be better people it shouldn't matter!!!!
    Anonymous

• Is seeing the damage done by bad choices enough to motivate me to make a good choice? Yes.

But that's independent of whether or not Jesus is the Christ, and everything that means to me - I don't see the purpose of a "a savior" just to be about motivating people to be nice....I see much more to it.
    Anonymous

• no its not about that at all. I don't know if you have seen any of the answer I have written about it. But with sin comes death and bondage. Christ set us free from that. There is only so much we can do on o9ur own strength. Sure we can be respectful and lovingh to a point, but God standards are perfect Holiness, without flaw. No one can do that on their own, which is why Christ died for us. It is through only Him where we can be made whole, it is through the Holy Spirit living in us where we can do things beyond our own strength. For example lvong your enemy.....there is a true story of a mom and her husband who were missionaries that were captures, mistreated and abused, her husband ended up dying in the process. She escaped and went home to her children after her husband was killed by these people. She actually got a picture of one of these guys and put it on her fridge to pray for that this man would be blessed by God.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Because anon with a maytyr syndrome being the reason you strive to be better often comes the person thinking they are the martyr and "better than others"
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:43 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• where we can be made whole

This is presumming we are broken to begin with which I dont' believe is true. We ahve flaws sure but that doesn't mean we're broken or full of holes. It means the paint dried funny and left a "smudge". As for the with "sin comes death and bondage" well I equate that ith bad choices leads to unpleasant consequences. The more bad choices we make the deeper into our unpleasant consequences we get. That isn't anything more than common sense. "Bondage" can simply be another word for "addiction"
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Christians believe that because sin came into the world because of the sin of Adam and Eve. God did not want us to go to hell. He loves us too much. Hell was made for Satan and his demons. Not for humans. Because of the sin of adam and eve it brought sin to the whole world. (all who came after them. )Through time God tried to use people but as stated in Isiah he could not find a perfect person, only his son. Therefore he sent him to die for the sins of the world. Jesus was not at martyr. He willing died in obedience to the father. He said in the bible "No man taketh my life I lay it down." He then as in acts 2:31..He went to hell, took the keys to death hell and the grave and gave us the victory over it. Now we as christians do not have to die, because he died for us. We merely go to sleep and are awaken in the presence of God. We do not have a free pass to sin, we muse daily check ourselves and ask for forgivness.
    Anonymous