Do you ever put your kids to bed early (unwillingly)?

My 2 year old was tired... it's about an hour before her usual bedtime. I'm sick and exhausted and just wanted to rest in bed. She's in her crib screaming :( She started crying and I went in and rocked her to sleep, but she woke up when I put her into her crib. I want her to learn that when mommy says bedtime, it's bedtime, though... but I still feel bad :(

Am I being unreasonable?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• my kids both went to bed tonight 45 minutes early. They were EXHAUSTED we had a packed weekend and they need their rest! No you aren't horrible.
    Anonymous

• No you aren't at all, especially because she was tired. At two you may want to do something to get away from rocking her to bed and needing her to be asleep when you put her down. Try getting her used to a simple routine like bath, story, and then put her in her crib with a soft lullaby in the background and shut the door. She will cry the first few times but at least you will be starting a more independent routine with her.
    Anonymous

• Um.....Yeah.

You are putting her to bed early to meet your needs and then ignoring her cries when you yourself know it isn't her bedtime to meet your needs.

I know how tiring it can be, I've got 8 and I would never do what you are doing., not even when my head was hanging over a toilet, put a baby gate put her in bed with you and put on a cartoon, when it is her bedtime try again.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:52 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• No, sometimes we just have those days we can't cope anymore.
    Try playing up bedtime...."big girl night night time" "here's your special (blanket, toy, book...)" "mommy's night night time too".
    Maybe get a fun night light. My daughter has a turtle with stars that beam up onto the cieling so I let her pick blue stars or green and we find the moon (there's a moon on there as well).
    she always knows that i "rock rock" her singing "big girl nigh night...big girl nigh night"...tell her I love her then it's off to bed.
    I find it helpful to repeat myself a billion times "after bath we're going to bed...." "it's time for big girl night nights"...
    hang in there girl! xoxo
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 10:55 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I've put my 21 month old to bed early, but an hour?? That's pushing it. Maybe 30 minutes early, if I was really sick.

Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• OP here

Anon, she is used to a routine and usually goes to bed without any problems. She hasn't cried at bedtime in months. She doesn't do this for her dad when he puts her to bed early :( She's just mad because mommy usually lets her stay up later lol.

Luckyseven, I understand what you're saying. She really was tired, though. I did have her in bed with me earlier, but I'm 24 weeks pregnant and she kept falling and climbing on my belly. I couldn't rest at all, I had to constantly grab her to keep her from playing too close to the edge or falling on me (on purpose because she thinks it's funny). Do I look out for my own needs sometimes? Yeah, I do. We all have to do that sometimes or else our needs don't get met. Chances are you do something that another mom would see as selfish or bad parenting too. 99% of the time I put her first.
    Anonymous

• Well, she's on a schedule and it has been disrupted.........so of course she is not going to go peacefully to bed. Her inner clock knows it's too early. I never put my child to bed early just because I don't feel well. She doesn't understand....maybe when she is older, but for now, her needs come first.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:04 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• no your not unreasonable. Sometimes I will put one of my kids to bed early if they need it. With my kids at least if I let them get to tiered, then bedtime becomes a huge struggle. An overtiered toddler is harder to put to sleep. And sometimes as a mom, you need to put yourslef first.
    Anonymous

• i only change by about 15 minutes, although when we go on trips to see family and change time zones, i still go by the clock, and not "her" time. shes been on a routine since she was 3 months old, so getting her to bed isnt really a problem.
    if you need to rest, and its only an hour, let her go to bed early. and dont let anyone talk you down.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 12:01 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• You aren't putting your needs first resting when you feel bad and are pregnant is putting your new babies needs first. You've got to teach her it isn't funny to fall on your belly what happens if she thinks its funny to fall on the infant once its born. Eeek. I am not nagging sweetie I understand where you're coming from and think its no big deal just find some way to make her understand not to fall on your belly. I had a friend who had a miscarriage because her 4 and 6 year old boys were rough housing and she tried to break it up and got head butted in the belly she said it wasn't even that hard and she still lost her baby...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Apr. 18, 2010