Can you be Christian, but believe "all paths lead to God"

I believe in God, Jesus. Dont 100% believe the bible... but overall have always seen myself as Christian (never really went to church though-but we are wanting to start going).
But I also believe in all paths to God. I dont care if you are Buddist, Muslim, ect. ect.. If you lead a good life, respected, cared, loved, ect you will get into heaven.

(cont. below of why i feel this way)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe Heavenly Father will judge each of us individually and knows the contents of our hearts.
    Anonymous

• OP here:
    If you grew up in a Buddist family & never were around Christians, How would you "convert: to the "RIGHT" way to God?
    There are islands & tribes that will never see a bible/ a Christian, they worship the sun, ect.... So should they go to Hell? .. I believe not..
    So there for, I believe in all paths to God..
    If I grew up in another country & was raised another religion it is in the depths of me to believe that religion. That is why they tell Christians to get their kids into it young... Its easy to mold a child into anything you want them to believe in.
    Anonymous

• God will make himself known to ALL people. So those we know not of and those we can't reach we need not fear for God will show himself to them. So they may not worship a God names Jesus, Yahweh or any of the other names we know of but there are those "pagan cultures" out there worshiping God believe it or not :) There have been many reports by christian missionaries of going to middle of nowhere places and trying to convert the people there only to find out no conversion was necessary, they were already worshiping God.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 10:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I don't know but I understand where you are coming from. I do not believe in the bible. I believe in God. I don't believe in what a pastor says, I believe in what God says in my own heart. I don't like to be molded into believing the same way a flock of people believe in him. My relationship with God is between me and God, not some pastor or congregation. I don't invite other people into my marriage and I see my relationship with God as being just as sacred and kept between us.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 10:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• This is exactly why I'll never be a Christian. I find it confounding to believe that some people were born into a life that would inevitably lead to damnation and others given salvation. I've asked about it here and in Christian groups and have yet to get an answer that makes sense to me.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 10:56 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• As a Christian if you believe there are more paths to Heaven and forgiveness of sin then what is the point of Jesus's death and resurrection?
    Anonymous

What's the point of the other "messiahs" death and resurrection? You know Jesus wasn't the only one who claimed to be the son of God right? There were others.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 11:03 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• John 14:6
    “Jesus said, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.’”

Matthew 10:32
    “Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven.”

Acts 4:12
    There is salvation in no one else. For there is no other name given to men by which they must be saved.”

Philippians 2:10,11
    “At the name of Jesus every knee shall bow in heaven and on earth and under the earth and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.”

With scriptures like this IF you believe the Word (Bible) as truth then you can't believe you can come to God through anyone else. If you don't believe the Bible or that Jesus is Lord then what makes you a Christian? Honest question without sarcasm.
    Anonymous

• What's the point of the other "messiahs" death and resurrection? You know Jesus wasn't the only one who claimed to be the son of God right? There were others.

But if you believe in the words of the Bible..and its fine if you don't...then to believe there are other messiahs is actually against the Bible. So you don't actually believe the Bible as you (she) say you do. I think you can believe there are other messiahs all you want but then don't claim you believe the Bible too because those two ideas do'nt match up.
    Anonymous

• I feel like you...don't know what to tell you. Even on the religionline on my Facebook I put: I believe eveyrone takes their own path to God.

I think every religion is worshiping the same entity, but, in the way that makes the most sense to them. Like in the bible, the part where he scatters the people, I believe he gave them their own language and path to follow.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:12 PM on Apr. 17, 2010