Do you think that there is a problem with video games?

I've heard that video games can make a child more violent. I grew up playing video games with my brother, and I don't think that I'm a violent person. Still, what do you think?

Wolfgang87

Asked by Wolfgang87 at 10:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think they do.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:54 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• They make children lazy. They are psychologically addictive.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:57 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I played a lot of video games too.... though not so much the violent ones. Mostly mario, zelda, tetris, ect.... The games like grand theft auto, might warp minds though!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:58 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• "They make children lazy. They are psychologically addictive."

I agree! And social networking sites do the same thing to adults these days!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:59 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I don't agree with that or ecodani....My son has them, he rarely plays them. I had it, I rarely played with it. I got the Nintendo System right when it came out...My mom played more than me. LOL My son had the NES, N64, PS2 and 3, Gameboys...he babrely plays with them, maybe 2 times a month. LOL He is not violent or addicted or lazy. He is 14 and is always outside or doing something.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:59 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Oh, he has Grand Theft Auto, Borderlands, Hitman, Manhunt....etc.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:01 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I think in moderation and used as a reward it's fine. My son plays mostly on the weekend and only for one hour or so. If he has been doing bad in school or if he has been mouthy then no games for him!
    Vitality4all6

Answer by Vitality4all6 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• The video games I played growing up are nothing like the ones now. I can't imagine what it does to a young child to play those violent games.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 11:33 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• We don't do video games or television. At all. One thing that hit home for me was an explanation from a trusted friend, doctor, and pediatric psychiatrist. In real life we don't move 100 frames per minute. It is much slower. In cartoons and video games they do - and it gets faster and faster with new technologies. By continued use a brain is being rewired to that high paced format.  It is theorized that too much television and video games contributes to attention issues.  So it is not just a matter of aggression or violence but also addiction to the pace set, the action, and rewiring our bodies/brains reaction times to stimuli.  Not something I want for my child. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:39 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I think we are definitely affected by our media intake (music, movies, tv, and games). I've seen studies showing how media intake didn't make people more violent, but it did make them think that violence was more normal than in reality.

Like all other forms of media, there are some good games, and some horrible games. We just have to know how to choose between the two.
    Anonymous