EMERGENCY!!! Please help me out here!!

So, I have these AWESOME leather boots that got oil, the kind that you oil a paper shredder, poured on them. Well, spilled. Any ideas on how to save my boots???

clhadley

Asked by clhadley at 11:05 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• RIP leather boots...
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:07 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• The only remedy I know of is to cover them entirely in the same oil. It will change the color, but at least they will be uniformly colored. I heard it is the only remedy for silk with oil on it as well.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:23 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I found some other tips:

When removing grease or oil stains from leather, the best advice is to not use water to clean up the spill. It is well known oil and water ‘do not mix,' and water will cause the oil to spread even more.

· Start by using a dry clot and blot the excess oil away

· Using either talc powder or cornstarch, place a small amount on to cover the area.

· Let the leather sit overnight

· The next day, using a soft dry cloth, wipe the talc powder or cornstarch away.
    The talc powder or cornstarch will act as an absorbent to lift away the oil or grease from the leather material.

GOOD LUCK!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:28 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I took mine to a shoe repair place in tears. I loved my boots! I got oil on mine as well and they said nope. I had to throw them away. That was just sad for me. I hope you find a way to save your's.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:36 PM on Apr. 18, 2010