What happened to sleeping through the night?!? :-/

My DD started sleeping through the night at around 3 months... asleep by 8pm and waking around 6 or 7... Then a few weeks ago that stopped. She's almost 6 months and just cut her first tooth so I figured the teething may be interrupting her zzzs? It's been getting worse though and the tooth is already through! She won't go to sleep and then wakes up every 2-3 hours ALL NIGHT and most of the time just screams until I nurse her. I've started just bringing her to bed with me sometime around 3 every night so we can both get a little rest (that's the only way she seems to fall into a deeper sleep). Should I be worried?

Lauren1029

Asked by Lauren1029 at 11:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's probably teething AND growing at the same time. That disrupts sleep a lot.
    Anonymous

• Sleeping through the night is a myth.....lol No joke...that's what I thought....oh once they sleep through the night then i'm done with sleepless nights! Lately my 3 year old has been getting up, up to 5 times a night! Yes....FIVE!!!! She comes in and wants juice....then she wants to climb in bed, then she's wet (diaper is falling off...and no she has no interest and actually fights me when potty training is attempted)....Oh...then she wants to know where brothers are and then it's time for juice or she hears the train outside...lol UGH! Not cool!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:38 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• Some kids don't sleep throught the night until they are 3 or older and it's normal.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:51 PM on Apr. 17, 2010

• I'm in the group with kids that did sleep through the night as babies. Not all the time, but most. However, there are bumps periodically. Teething and growth spurts are two main ones. I also BF, so it was me, not Daddy that could help. I have a comfy chair in the den, so some nights, I'd nurse dd and rock her until she fell asleep. Then one night....she slept again. She's now almost 2 and sleeps very well. Just make sure she does get enough rest during the day. Not ALL day, but make sure she does nap. I don't know why, but overtired babies have a harder time falling asleep.
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• She's normal! Sleep patterns will change constantly...don't EXPECT any pattern to last. You were VERY lucky before.

She will change the pattern again. And again. And again. The only guarantee you get is never getting eight hours in a row again. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 1:33 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• Thanks for the reassurance ladies... I was afraid that was going to be the general concensus on the issue! I was hoping everyone would say something more like "Don't worry, she'll probably be sleeping through the night again as soon as this tooth is in" or maybe "by 7 months she'll definitely be back to sleeping through the night" Lol I guess babies are just NEVER that predictable, right? Wish me luck... and some sleep... :-)
    Lauren1029

Answer by Lauren1029 at 10:48 AM on Apr. 22, 2010