Do your kids say "bad words"? how old are they?

My daughter (5) does say dumb, stupid, cheesehead, butthead and such.. We tease each other but she knows when to use these words and when she shouldn't. Am I such a bad mom??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Apr. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• OMG! U are so not a bad mom! LOL! My son likes to say "poopy butt" or "poopy head"......................he's 5. It usually goes, "Poopy butt"...............(shock sound) "You said it!..............." then lots of giggles. But he KNOWS he's not to say that to other kids or anything like that.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:48 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• No you are not a bad mom, my daughter who is 3 called my brother a dumbass. (Which he is but she shouldnt have said it.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• haha of course you're not a bad mom!!! My daughter is also 5 and she just loves the word butthead! Actually, anything with the word butt in it lol!!! No, as long as she doesn't call her mates that, you're clear lol!
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 12:54 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• >.< when my daughter was 10 months she started saying shit and asshole >.<
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:55 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• my kids don't say those words, my 5 year old will tell me 'don't say that in front of kids' if i say something in front of her. i'm pretty sure that doesn't make you a bad mom, but it could cause some issues if he did start saying those things to other kids. sounds like he's just doing it for a reaction, he;'s not trying to be hurtful.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:55 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• My kids say anything they want, I encourage them to use good judgement and not to offend others in their speech or manner. That means, if they fall up the stairs then damn is appropriate if they are alone, but if they spill something on their shirt while in a restaurant or with grandma oops is more appropriate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• can i just say there is no such thing as a bad word....words are just words and only the context they are used in can make them harmful or not
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:59 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• My son was in the car with my parents on a grandparents day out and my dad said asshole. He was 18 months old and barely talking and he repeated it then for days afterwards since he got a major reaction he said asshole over and over and over everywhere we went. It was soooo humiliating but you know what my dad learned never to cuss in front of him again lol He is 5 now and he has never said anything silly like poopy head or cheesehead but we don't play call names with each other either. I don't think he's ever heard those words. He doesn't really say much but like all kids hes a total sponge. We were at a cousins birthday party recently and one of her husbands friends said the C word and here comes my son "Mommy whats a C%$t?" Oh well kids are curious. I just told him, its what Jett is about to call me when I'm done with him lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• while i dont like the word dumb or stupid, the others seem just fine!! Kids are kids, they learn new words everyday! doesnt mean your a bad mom at all!!
    Anonymous

• Look at it this way if those are the only "bad" words being used by your kids your doing an AWESOME job, I know a woman who has 3 kids who swear like sailors and I have had to make a rule when they visit my house that if they use those words they need to leave my home. I dont want my kids thinking it is okay to swear.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2010