The Business of Being Born

So, I just watched this documentary and thought it was really well made. However, it pissed me off to no end and now I'm kind of curious as to whether I'm the only one.

Did you see it? What did you think?

heatheryn

Asked by heatheryn at 12:48 AM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes, I have seen it and it is THE documentary that made me stay away from hospitals with my second birth and boy I am glad I did. The majority of women here are SO uneducated about birth. I am from Europe and I assumed that I will be well taken care of in US when I will have my first child. Couldn't have been more wrong. After my horrible experience, I went out and educated myself, but most of the women just go back to the system to get some more. The problem is that they are so ignorant that they don't even realize that they are having a bad experience. They think that this is how childbirth is supposed to be(pitocin, epidural, c-section). My comments don't apply to the few that had an unmedicated childbirth in a US hospital either by accident or by choice.

cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 12:56 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• loved it! it helped my husband to understand why I wanted a homebirth with our 3rd chilld and it helped him feel safer w/ the idea.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:05 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Well, the part that really bothered me was the idea that their was is really the only way. I'm all for homebirths and midwives. I think unassisted homebirths are too far out of my realm, I would never do that. Don't care if others do, just not me. But I had three hospital births with an OBGYN (medical issues, homebirth even if I wanted would not have been an option). Anyway, it seemed to me that with saying people who birth in hospitals don't experience childbirth is short sighted. I didn't experience it the way they seemed to want me to but I assure them, I did experience it.

Also, there was a section about bonding and how mothers may not love their children if they had a section (I never did) or if they aren't with their child immediately. My first had to go to the NICU so I didn't get to hold her. Again, I'm fully bonded.

I don't understand how women can go to a doctor that doesn't listen to them and stay on the same page
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 1:07 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Also, there was a section about bonding and how mothers may not love their children if they had a section (I never did) or if they aren't with their child immediately.

I agree heatheryn. I had a c-section (emergency) and of course I love my daughter. My God, I love her more than life itself. That is stupid. Just another extremist trying to make anything but their way seem like the wrong way.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:16 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• This reminds me of the nasty lactation consultant at the hospital. I had a very traumatic labor. After I finally had the c-section, I had been awake for close to 35 hours, STARVING (hadn't eaten in almost 35 also, but still couldn't eat for another 12) and I was SO EXHAUSTED...after I first saw my daughter and tried nursing, it was FINALLY time that I could get some sleep. The lactation consultant came in and my husband said I was trying to sleep and she said I needed to wake up and she was AWFUL. Not supportive AT ALL. For God's sake, I felt like I was about to die and this woman was treating me like a prisoner. What a bitch. She was acting like I was a pos and treating me like shit because she thought I wasn't going to breastfeed. Excuse me for wanting to get some rest while my daughter was sleeping. If I have another child, I will tell them that I do not want nor need to see one of their lactation consultants.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:24 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• By the way, my daughter and I did just fine nursing without that witch.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:25 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• i did not see the movie, but i am very pro home birth. what is done is done...how you birthed your previous babies, i mean. consider your birth as a c-birth, rather than a c-section.
    i do believe with all my heart that intervention (breaking water, stripping membranes, giving pitocin and epi's) stress the babies and the mothers, and lead to emergency procedures that would not have happened otherwise.
    i have had odd things happen during my homebirths. the midwives treated me, my body and my babies with great care and respect, a respect you would not understand if you only ever experienced hospital births. i have had one hospital birth too.
    women need to understand how powerful and amazing we are!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:12 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I agree happy! I think homebirths are pretty awesome and midwifes are pretty awesome too. Like I said, I'm not sure I would have had one but I had medical issues that made that not an option.

My issue is just that, I think people get so wrapped up in how they do things that they forget there are other ways. During the movie I kept thinking, what if that's what they want? What if the mommy is more comfortable in a medical environment with doctors around?

I had 3 great births.I just don't get why people go to doctors who don't listen and push convenience of their schedules on them. I approved every single thing done to me. My doctor was great to lay out options, openly and honestly and let me chooses. When I said no, I think I'll wait or lets wait to see what happens, he said ok. Oh and while he wasn't there every second, he was in with me A LOT! It was great and I wish more who choose MD's got that experience.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 8:25 AM on Apr. 18, 2010