Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my exhusband took my son out of state without informing me. what can I do. I have sole physical custody we have joint legal.

He took him on a regular visitation. Neither one of us is allowed to take him out of the county overnight without informing the other parent.

Answer Question

Asked by eliza456 at 1:51 AM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • then i think it's time to call the cops and a lawyer girl.

    Answer by mexicu at 1:55 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

  • well is it out of the country or out of state that he took him? either way call your lawyer or if he's still out of state call the cops and file kidnapping charges

    Answer by vbruno at 2:29 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

  • Call the cops he broke the custody agreement

    Answer by racheal1977 at 2:32 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

  • Make sure to document this. Write everything on your planner or calendar so you have it when the judge asks for it. After that, it's up to you- If you took your ex to court, what do you want from him? Do you want supervised visits, more child support, less visitation?

    Answer by TXdanielly at 7:14 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

  • Call your lawyer and see what he/she recommends. I don't know if I would call the cops. Unless he's not planning on giving your child back calling the cops sounds a bit extreme. But if this becomes a habit you may want to have the custody agreement revised such as supervised visits or something.

    Answer by amethystrse at 7:42 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

  • If neither of you can legally take him out of the county (without informing the other), then you should call the cops. IMO, it's a no-brainer.

    Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:44 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

  • I agree with all of the answers, but I have to wonder if your relationship with your ex is trusting? If it is, sometimes the "legal" route may not not worth it, especially if is just a short visit. He may not have meant anything by it. If he just took him for an overnight trip, I'd let it go this time and make sure he knew next time there would be consequences. My sister always told me to call my atty every time my ex did something that wasn't in our court papers, or violated something that was in them, but I refused to take her advice. That's what she does and she has a horrible relationship with her ex, while my ex and I get along just fine. He loves his kids and wouldn't try to take them from me, and I wouldn't do that to him. We were always very relaxed with custody and it worked well for us. It still does after 7 years. I guess what I'm saying is pick your battles.

    Answer by drowninginboys at 10:42 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

  • what does the Court Order say about him leaving the state? If it says nothing and its visitation time, he may be within his rights to leave the state. The only way to know for sure is to talk to your lawyer and if you don't have one, take your Court Order to the police and ask them if this is "illegal."

    Answer by sjmookie at 4:27 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.