I have a BBA in Computer Information Systems, graduated in 2000. I worked for about 5 years before quitting to have children. I can't find an IT job that I'm qualified for, mostly I'm either obsolete or too experienced. My marriage is ending so I'm trying to get back on my feet, any suggestions for career counselling? Where do I start?

MoonlitGarden

Asked by MoonlitGarden at 1:36 AM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• Go to grad school. For most programs you had to have had a 3.0 (out of 4) undergrad GPA.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:38 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• do you have you MS certs??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• ** I meant your, not you! LOL
    Anonymous

• I have been told by several recruiters not to bother, even a cert will only help me get a better job if I was currently employed. I had started getting my MCDBA, but I had to move to a different state, I'd have to go back to WI to take the test. I don't have the $$ to pay for that again.
    MoonlitGarden

Answer by MoonlitGarden at 1:44 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Is your Linkedin profile up to date?

If you haven't stayed in touch with former co-workers, start now; invite someone out for coffee.

Did you "keep a hand" in your career in any way, like with consulting or volunteer work?

If you haven't already done so, start going to networking meetings.

SAHMs do have skills that employers value, like logistics, budgeting, etc.

There are more tips and resources in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group. http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Answer by rkoloms at 9:02 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I'd contact the school I graduated from or at least my former professors and get some advice.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:40 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• My husband has been in IT for 15 years and I was a BCIS major my first 2 years of college. Businesses are outsourcing IT jobs and consolidating the ones they are keeping here in the states. My husband now does the job that used to belong to 6 IT employees just a few years ago. Also, as you already know, IT is always changing and if you step out of the workforce for years, you become a dinosaur. I think you'd be better off leaning on the business side of your degree and just forget IT. The pay stinks these days and you end up biting your finger nails every day wondering if your the next IT person to get laid off. Look for something in management instead.

A Bachelor's Degree just opens the door for you. You don't have to look for a job that is just specific to your degree. I hold a Bachelor's of Science in Sociology, but taught high school English for 3 years. Also, the gov't is about the only thing hiring these days.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• So, check with gov't agencies. See if the Workforce Com. is hiring or Dept of Social Services or Dept of Public Safety or VA, etc.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I take it that you worked as a SQL Server DBA up until about 5 years ago? SQL Server hasn't changed very much in the last 5 years. However, with the economy the way it is, it is harder to find a job in IT. I think networking is your best bet, through your alma mater and/or local IT or SQL Server groups. A SQL Server 2008 course or two wouldn't hurt, either.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:28 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• oh it's changed a bunch, but I did take a 08 course, and was supposed to take an exam, but I have since left the state and can't afford to take the exam. As for the Alma Mater, will have to give that a try, but that's in MI and I'm in MA...
    MoonlitGarden

Answer by MoonlitGarden at 10:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2010