What would cause a test to look positive after the 10 minute time line?

I used a Clearblue test. It's the 3rd one I've taken over a 2 week time frame. The others have looked negative right away and then continued to look negative several hours later.

Well this one looked negative at the beginning. Now admittingly I was not in the best lit room when I looked at it but just now I went back into the bathroom and I noticed a faint line.

I took it into a better lit room and sure enough there is a positive line. It's faint but definately there.

I'm kind of freaking out so I am just wondering...what could make a test look positive after the time limit is up when other test of the same brand and type do not do this?

Is it more likely that I am pregnant or is it just something that happens? Were the other 2 just flukes in the fact that they didn't look positive after the time limit?

Sorry so many questions. I'm kind of freaking out. I'm going to buy another test tomorrow.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I used these tests back when the dinos where roaming the earth,,lol,,,Im sure alot has changed. Go see your dr for the correct results,,heaven knows if you buy one more of these tests, that its as good as going to see an obgym dr,,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• buy anther type of test. Buy another brand, and you should go by what it says(use the 1st morning urine)

as for your Q-
    some test have an evaporation line some test have them some dont...
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 2:33 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• But wouldn't an evap line mean that it evaporates as in I could no longer see it?

If I'm not right just tell me but I thought an evap line was one that showed up first and then disappeared. Am I wrong?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• yes u are right(sorry i forgot to add that) it does go away after a while.You might just be...i hope its whatever u want..like i said to be sure use a diff kind tomorrow and use the 1st urine(if its pos. i would def. go by that)
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 2:43 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Evaporation lines are caused by evaporation of the urine in then test area. These are lines that shows in the result window of the test, exactly where a positive sign would be. An evaporation line develops when the urine on the test area begins to dry, leaving a faint, usually colorless line. Evaporation lines appear to show up (or not show up) as a result of the composition of the particular urine specimen - and they may appear on any test regardless of brand.

You can't rely on any test results that appear after the time limit. If a line appears in the "results" window after the time specified in the directions, wait a couple days and test again. HPT's are rapid assay diagnostics, which means any results appearing after the "rapid" time limit of 10 minutes are invalid-- after this time, natural changes in the chemicals may cause lines to appear.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I am going to go against what most people would probably say.. I took a dollar test from the dollar store this time around. It was negative. Went back upstairs and pulled it out of the garbage just to take one last look at few hours later and there was a faint positive line there. I didn't get too excited thinking that it was probably and evap line.. but the next morning when I woke up there were three lines on the test. One being grey (evap line!) so while it didn't show right away sure enough I was pregnant. :) I would retest if I were you. Maybe with a different brand. I hate those clear blue tests! Good luck!

MamaMulder

Answer by MamaMulder at 1:08 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Thank you for all the responses. The line is NOT colorless. It's blue just like the negative line. The + sign is lighter than the negative line but definately blue and definately there.

I'm going to get an ANSWER or First Responce brand test today. Those are my brands of choice. LOL. But I was nervous because of some symtoms I've been having and anxious to just get one. I went to CVS and they had their brand, some brand I'd never heard of and Clear Blue Easy. They were out of the others so I just grabbed them.

I've always hate Clear Blue sence I was TTC with my daughter but didn't think it would be that big of a deal.

Guess next time I'll just be patient. LOL.

Thanks for the answer.
    Anonymous