Would you NOT rent a house because a trailer is your next door neighbor?

I dont mean to offend anyone,please accept my apology if I have by asking this question. I am undecided between which house to rent.There is a really cute single house that is more in my price range,however I am having doubts because of the trailer that is for rent right next door(the same owner owns both)I dont have a problem with ppl living in trailers(my own grandmother does)I just cant seem to get over the fact that I feel as though the trailer takes away from the house.I have a teenage son who is telling me that he wouldnt let his friends know where he lived,thats extreme considering we wouldnt live there.Then there is a very nice house that is $200.00 more per month,the same # of bedrooms,I am not in a position to throw money away by any means,im just not sure if I can overcome this issue and how much if any consideration should I take concerning my sons feelings about this. Nice ,not negative advice or comments please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You don't have the money. You are also teaching him to be a stuck up snob if you don't take it and let him rule that roost. He is a teen, he will get over it. IMO, I think, the fact you are even letting that come into play when they are both nice houses and one is $200 more is ridiculous. I live in a nice trailer in a nice community....my son has no issues with friends. They are fine witth it, because they were taught better.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:41 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Sorry but that just sounds stuck up.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 2:51 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Thank you for your honest opinions of my situation,I appreciate you guys reading and replying.I am not stuck up by any means,sorry if I came across that way :[
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I live in a double wide and most of my neighbors do too. I get how trailers kind of give a stereotype for the type of people who live there. But, our neighborhood is quite nice and most of our neighbors are retired from very respectable careers. There are neighborhoods in our town that don't have trailers that I would not live in because it doesn't feel like a safe area. A trailer house is just a house. What matters is the people who live inside.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Don't worry about the trailer - you're renting, not buying. If the trailer is in good condition and the yard maintained, I'd go with the less expensive rental. if your son won't tell where you live out of embarassment, you'll save a ton of money on food (not having to feed a bunch of teenage boys) :-) I wish sometimes our ds's friends didn't know where we lived, especially at dinnertime.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:12 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• To go off of what the last anon said I would focus more on the neighborhood as a whole. 200 a month is a big difference! And I would completely disregard my teens comment because he really has no basis for it. I'm sure you'd rather him have the mind to not judge people based on the house they live in AND he will need to teach his friends the same thing.
    I could understand if you were buying because you would need to consider property values dropping due to a trailor, but since you are renting I think its something you should look past. If you are really concerned though talk to your potential landlord about his rules/regulations on living on his property. What is gorunds for complaints and dismissals? Look at his paperwork to determine whether you will be able to complain and get a bad neighbor out if they move in. Good luck on your decision!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 7:15 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I think it would be WRONG to let that place go just because of a trailer next door. I also wouldn't judge the people who live there simply because it's a trailer. Teach your kid that homes come in all shapes and sizes and show him a new way of looking at it. He will eventually get over it. He only views it that way because you do. If you stop being so judgmental, he will too.
    Heck, I might even suggest MOVING INTO the trailer to teach him a lesson on humility. I can't believe how teenagers behave these days and parents just shrug it off as no big deal!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• If you were asking if you should BUY a house next to a trailer, I'd say no but with renting the only reason not to do so is if there were questionable people already living there. Since the trailer is vacant I guess I would make my judgement call based on the landlord. If the landlord seems like a good person that wouldn't just rent to anybody then yes I would rent a house next to a trailer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• No....i would not RENT a house when in reality its more to your benefit to buy a house. Why would you want to rent when you could OWN your own home. You are just giving your money away in rent and when you are buying a home the money is returned to you by investing. We used to rent, but 2yrs ago decided to buy a house and our Mortgage is $150 less a month than our rent was. But that may just be my oppinion because im married to a Realtor....lol. Anyway if your just renting i wouldnt worry about what a trailer next to your house...i would be more concerned if you were buying a house due to resale value.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• It all comes down to your financial means. If that's the house you can afford, the neighbourhood looks good and the landlord seems good then go ahead and rent it. I also wouldn't take your son's poor attitude into consideration. You live where you can afford to live.

There really is a big difference between renting a house beside a trailer and buying a house beside a trailer. You can leave a rented house at the end of your lease. But, if you want to sell a house part of what is factored into the market value of the property is the type of neighbourhood it's in and the type of houses that are around it. The trailer should really only become an issue if you're looking at buying the house.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 8:08 AM on Apr. 18, 2010