What do you think when you see toddlers in tiaras?

Especially those with body alterations like false teeth, fake hair, and spray-on tans? I find it hard to believe you can send the message "you're beautiful" believably if you say "you're beautiful, but I want to change you in x,y, and z ways." Even worse, IMO, is when they are forcing it on their kid who doesn't want to or criticising them for doing it wrong, not winning, or not being good enough. That's saying "I love you, if you do things the way I want" or "I love you... if you win." Not to mention all the things it says about sexuality to a little kid. Plus, they creep me out and they don't look beautiful to me at all, a normal little girl looks much more beautiful. There's so much more... just the idea of being judged at all or judged solely on the basis of your beauty... probably by old men. And on and on... Your thoughts? http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3349/3273349710_c559dc620c.jpg

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 AM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think its ridiculous. It makes me sick to my stomach to see baby girls on that stage dressed like grown women!!!
    Jaydensmommy829

Answer by Jaydensmommy829 at 10:26 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Alright where to start. First off I hate when people assume because you do pageants that they are all glitz (not you but other people do). My little girl does pageants but just herself and a pretty dress and themed outfits no fake anything...and shes 14 months so all she does is go on stage with mommy and laugh and wave at her family in the audience. Now I'm not going to say that if she asked me one day when she were older to do a glitz one I would say no but I'm not going to put her in one till that day. And if she did want to try one she could wear make up and stuff but no provocative dancing and clothing and stuff. And I think it is horrible to degrade your children for not winning...they must learn like in any sport that your effort is what counts. I understand making them practice (not hours everyday) because you make them practice in every sport or activity they do...but quit it if they hate it!
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 7:30 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I would not do it to my own daughter, however, It's not my place to judge those that do..
    Mad_Hexer

Answer by Mad_Hexer at 7:58 AM on Apr. 18, 2010