Kindergarten Playdates

My daughter will be starting Kindergarten in the fall and I'm curious as to whether it is typical at this age for kids to start having drop off playdates. As of now, moms stay during these things, but to be honest that's a lot of work for me to have to sit and chit chat with the other mom for 2 hours. I'm just really looking forward to the time when my daughter can just invite a friend from school over without it having to be a social event for me as well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Apr. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We have always had neighbors we traded kids with; I haven't stayed at a play date since my daughter was three or four.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:51 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• my DS is 4 and I have not yet had a drop off playdate.....I only have 2 friends that I would be comfortable with and I like talking to them while the kids play
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:35 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I have never done an official play-date. My girls play with neighbor girls and sometimes they are over here and sometimes over there. Us Mom's sit and chat sometimes as well or we kind of use each other for a few hours of free time, I don't mind her child eating dinner /snacks at my house cause she does the same for my children. Before my girls made friends or were in school I would just take them to the park to play with various "stranger" kids while I read a book .. I know what you mean though, its awkward" Like your kid can come play but I don't feel like chatting.." ( How do you say that nicely??)

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 10:04 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Around here we started drop off playdates in preschool. Instead of calling the mom and asking for a "playdate" ask if "Katie" can come over to play - that makes it a little more clear that you are inviting the child and not both child and mom.

Answer by missanc at 1:34 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• when my daughter had a play date , the mom only stayed til her daughter felt comfortable. Then she left. then I thought yay! know i can continnue doing what I was doing. I was normally very busy at that time too. lol
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:37 AM on Apr. 19, 2010

• It depends on your comfort level, the comfort level of the parent you've arranged play-time with and your child. My son's first solo play-date was in kindergarten. My DD is now in K and we do both. It depends on who she's playing with HOWEVER, DD has severe food allergies. I only leave her with parents I trust to help DD manage her allergies and who are comfortable being left with her EpiPens.

DD has had friends that stay on their own to our house and there are few who were not quite ready to be there on their own without mom nearby. We play it by ear.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2010