Who is right... me? or my daughter? It is a question about a faith filled person marrying somebody who it not

My daughter says that the Bible states that if a person of faith marries a person without faith the marriage can be severed ...

I said that in the Bible it states that if a person of Faith~ marries another person~ who does not have Faith, then the person without faith, is saved. because when they marry their souls become one. so the Faithful soul~ is saving the unfaithful soul.

So who is more correct here? sorry I don't have the exact spots where these things appear in the Bible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• From what I understand you don't and cannot save the other person. You can't make thier choices or change thier mind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• It depends on your denomination. When I went to a friend's church in high school, the Bibles sitting around there said that you can get into heaven if your spouse is Christian because God doesn't want you to be without the love of your life. However, I know my Church doesn't believe that. Some denominations believe you just have to be baptized in order to go to heaven.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:06 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I think only the person of faith will be saved, the person without will not,,, I mean if you don't believe in it--why would you care
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:52 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• You are both right. If the person of faith is strong then through their example the one without faith will eventually follow, because of the grace brought to the one through the blessing of marriage. If the person of faith is weak then no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• a marriage to a person outside your faith can be done, and can be severed. According to the bible, without any retribution to the believer, if the person doesn't switch faiths. If the person converts to CHristianity while they are married, the divorce however would be considered a sin. And any action afterward by your daughter, remarriage, or sex, would then be considered adultery. A person without faith is NOT saved based solely on the marriage union, unless they choose to convert during the marriage ceremony, so your daughter is correct.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:15 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I think you are both wrong.  As long as there is respect for each other and respect for each other's faith, then there is no reason why a mixed faith marriage can't work.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:00 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• the bible states not become unequally yoked. But if already together, the bible states that how do you know that you will not save your husband/wife.
    Anonymous

• both are wrong... 1 Cor 7
    10But to the married I give instructions, not I, but the Lord, that the wife should not leave her husband
    11(but if she does leave, she must remain unmarried, or else be reconciled to her husband), and that the husband should not divorce his wife.12But to the rest I say, not the Lord, that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13And a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and he consents to live with her, she must not send her husband away.14For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy.

15Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called [b]us to peace.

16For how do you know, O wife, whether you will
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?17Only, as the Lord has assigned to each one, as God has called each, in this manner let him walk And so I direct in all the churches.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:55 PM on Apr. 18, 2010

• The Bible does warn against believers and non believers getting married. It is referred to as being unequally yoked. In other words, when the two become one in marriage, you want to operate as one. If you are divided on this subject you are likely to be divided on them all. It is easy to stumble when the yoke isn't equal. In other words, in this world it is easier for the unsaved partner to drag down the saved partner rather than the saved partner lifting up the unsaved. Of course it's not impossible with God, just unwise.

When my hubby and I were married, we both were at the same point, spritually. But later on, I was saved and born again. We spent some time being unequally yoked. It is not easy. When you don't view the foundation of things in the same way, you tend to disagree on even the most basic things.

However, an unsaved spouse can be saved through the faith of the other. Love covers over a multitude of sin.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 2:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2010