Perm first or color first?

OK, I'm ready for the biggest change ever. I'm known in my family for changing my hair often, but it's been about 3 years now...maybe longer. I want a perm and color, can I do them on the same day? I AM going to a salon, I just want to be able to plan the $$.

kjrn79

Asked by kjrn79 at 10:00 AM on Apr. 18, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Hi Hairstylist here,, curls are coming back, but big bouncy ones, not like the old perm of the 80's,, LOL At 52, I would forgo getting the perm and get color alone,, if you must do both you shouldn't do them on the same day!! If you have no color at all on your hair, do the perm first,, if not then you have to retouch the color to get the perm to take evenly, colored hair takes a different kind of perm. My vote honestly is NO perm!! Have a good time,,, pp is correct, perming will fade the color, but you can get a semi-permanent gloss right after you perm to freshen it back up. I always suggest at least a week between processes! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:30 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• I'm pretty sure you color then perm your hair. I dont know if you can do it on the same day...your basically frying your hair...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• People still get perms??? I have not seen anyone with one in like 10 years..
    kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 10:05 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• lmao. I"m 52. Maybe I'm "out of it".
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• maybe you've just changed my mind!!!
    kjrn79

• My hair is unbelieveably straight but I like my hair curly and I don't give a **** what the latest styles are/ LOL. It seems all you see is straight hair but that doesn't mean you have to be a slave to opinions of magazines or some celebrities. LOL. and I am thinking about getting a perm sooon. So....I would think the perm would come first, then color. Perms will take all the coloring out of your hair.
    If you want a perm, get one and don't listen to others. Do what YOU like.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Thanks Gertie! :) I'm going to go into the salon today for a consultation. We'll see what THEY talk me into....lol...
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 10:26 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Perm first then color. Perming will "wash" the color from your hair.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:30 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• yup- perm first :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:34 AM on Apr. 18, 2010

• Not sure which to do first. But do not do them in the same day. I did and it fried my hair. It took a long time and a lot of cuts to get it back to health.
    Nemhs

Answer by Nemhs at 10:55 AM on Apr. 18, 2010